rebuild connecting rods

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

I know we have always talked about it and I think it may have been has been done before but I have some extra rebuild kits coming from Carrillo. Thier new Cannondale rods already come with hardened inserts and wrist pin bushings. Since I have a stroker crank that wore out a z400 bearing causing the rod/pin to become unusable I figure it would be a perfect stress test for these rods. Brian Kinney has been the local goto guys for z400 updates and like Tim settles for nothing less than perfection . He has been chompin at the bit to build a stroker crank so here is his chance.
I was a little worried about these new rods so I told them to build the rods to handle 12,500 rpm minimum . I didnt talk to the engineeer after he ran the design through the structural analasis program but he didnt think the OD of the big end will have to be larger but Tim thought we could go another .020" if need be. Other than the rebuildabilty they should be a perfect drop in .
The engineeer said they might rebuild worn out stock rods but only ones that were original Carrillo rods and not the forged ones from Mappe. He said the forged ones I sent them had to much variation in big end thickness to risk rebuilding. And used rods could not have heat stress or side wear. Thier price to update used rods seemed a little steep and Tim said he could do it no problem so i thinki will let him do the first ones. The problem is I dont have any more used rods..... Anybody got some Carrillos laying around?

jinx44

#2 Post by jinx44 »

Forgive me for still learning, but which rods are which? I have an early FX rod at Timbos now that lost a bearing (tim said crank had cranks leading out from the pin but rod could be salvaged), and I have an '02 crank with a bad bearing too.

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

The Carillo's (early cranks) were H-beam profile. If I spot a pic around, I'll post it.

Edit...
Here's half of one that may or may not be Carillo:
Billet Rod

The guy paid extra for this version!

jinx44

#4 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (NRath @ Feb 26 2010, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Carillo's (early cranks) were H-beam profile. If I spot a pic around, I'll post it.

The rod I have at Tim's is an H-beam. I didn't realize Carillo built them for cannondale.

peterock

#5 Post by peterock »

How much does this cost????

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Carrillo never did make them for Cannondale as far as I know.Winky had some made.The oem h-beam rods have a casting mark on the big end Carrillo wont.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (jinx44 @ Feb 26 2010, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgive me for still learning, but which rods are which? I have an early FX rod at Timbos now that lost a bearing (tim said crank had cranks leading out from the pin but rod could be salvaged), and I have an '02 crank with a bad bearing too.

Tim said your crank was junk but he could resleeve the rod.
Here's an interesting note. Carrillo lost the work files for the original rods so I had to send them some samples( perhaps a Timbo Rod wink.gif ). They also did the Winky narrow versions where he was putting in the thrust washers.

SlOoT

#8 Post by SlOoT »

I have a brand new early style H-beam rod on the shelf here tongue.gif

And a box full of failed rods/cranks

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

A little box of goodness came today .

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Here are the rebuild kits . $50 for the 2 races. This ought to make Timbo happy . Just machine out the centers .Press the races in and hone to fit .