rebuild connecting rods

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Kuma

#11 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 3 2010, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A little box of goodness came today .

The rod on top looks to be shot peened and not on the bottom rod.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

We made a few changes to the design . The small end material was beefed up a little to compensate for the bushing . I know we have had a few start to mushroom out so this may or may not help. The I beams were thinner to reduce weight. Oil holes were enlarged. The rods are shot peened when finished for surface strengthening. Each rod also comes with balancing info of the total mass,rotating and reciprocating mass.

wistech

#13 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Mar 3 2010, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The rod on top looks to be shot peened and not on the bottom rod.

The rod that is not shot peened is a Timbo rod sent to them for dimensional analasis. They were impressed with Timbo's work and couldnt tell it wasnt one of their old Cannondale rods. I can tell because Timbo rods have a rougher surface inside the H beam channels .
I did some measuring of the rods and they are dead on perfect size for size. Now to get a few more cranks built. Ill drop off the parts for Brian to inspect tommorrow.

Dachshund

#14 Post by Dachshund »

I am thoroughly confused. Need to read the whole post again. Is this a new rod from Carrillo or one of theirs rebuilt?

wistech

#15 Post by wistech »

I had them make new rods which are already rebuildable and design a sleeve kit to convert original rods which are worn out to be rebuildable as well. So we get them both. So you can have it both ways. If you want a new rod they will make them one at a time with a 4 week delivery . Or you can purchase a kit to rebuild your Timbomoose or original Carrilo rod. Its to bad this wasnt available a few years ago. Oh well better late than never.

Dachshund

#16 Post by Dachshund »

That clears things up a bit. What's the going rate for a new rod?

So are all H beam rods either Timbo's or Carrilo's? Seems to be some confusion on that.

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

I can't say what I paid for the first batch of rods due to a special deal I had with Carrillo. I think the retail price for Carrillo rods are somewhere around $320. Dealer price is about $280 each. I think since Tim is a Cp dealer and Cp is now joined with Carrillo he might be able to get a good discount on new rods and kits. I'm going to run this past Tim and see how much time it takes to convert a stock rod with this kit. If he can do them in a hour or 2 we might be looking at less than $100 for an updated rod. That would be sweet.

Dachshund

#18 Post by Dachshund »

Good work. Sounds promising.

2000ex

#19 Post by 2000ex »

Neil, I just checked your picture out on the H beam rod and got a nice chuckle. That WAS my H beam rod! Too bad it could not handle staying in tact after snapping a wristpin and launching itself through the bottom of the case and cradle.

John, if they can be had for $100 I would say it is a great deal. Awesome job smile.gif Much more than that, it becomes looking at a cost tradeoff. Options are a great thing to have.

If he is willing, we can hope to have Pete get some updated brandy new rods made up. I think his first batch was $180 or so for a never used rod with no metal fatigue at all.

Too bad most of the early bad rods have long been tossed in Timbo's scrap barrels sad.gif Perhaps he can send TJ on a scavenger hunt through the piles to pull some from the scrap heap and put them back into service doing what they do best...create horsepower smile.gif

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Feb 25 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The engineeer said they might rebuild worn out stock rods but only ones that were original Carrillo rods and not the forged ones from Mappe. He said the forged ones I sent them had to much variation in big end thickness to risk rebuilding. And used rods could not have heat stress or side wear. Thier price to update used rods seemed a little steep and Tim said he could do it no problem so i thinki will let him do the first ones. The problem is I dont have any more used rods..... Anybody got some Carrillos laying around?

Just remember the early H-beam rods were not Carillo rods. There were a couple prototypes or something around but very few. According to Wistech's post it sounds as though Carillo would not put the sleeve in the Cannondale H-beams? Its obvious why they would not want to put sleeve in the Cannondale H-beam rod since there is a big lip where the machining steps come together or could be casting mark which varies alot from rod to rod. Not sure. Would they sleeve a Dale I beam rod? Sounds very promising though. Great Job Wistech!

Here is a pic of a Timbo rod next to a Cannondale rod both are H-Beam so you can see the casting or machining mark on the Cannondale rod.

[attachment=10018:H_beam_Rods.jpg]