rebuild connecting rods

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
kdeal

#21 Post by kdeal »

Steve,

I have the same question for Wistech. I believe he is refering to the earlier H beam rods as the "Carillo" rods even though Carillo did not make them. The later rods are definitely made by Mappe. I have a couple of early model rods that may be rebuildable if he can do those.

Ken

moto440

#22 Post by moto440 »

i have one hangin on the shelf but i think its ok, came from my crank that snapped in half LOL

peterock

#23 Post by peterock »

Looks like a decent option. However, most of you know I'm a stickler about reusing old parts. I wouldn't suggest it but it may keep the cost of a rebuild in someones budget. As for new rods, I can get rods made at any time in small batches of 4 or even 1 at a time. Problem is the cost ends up being around $300 or a little more as it takes time for these places to set up the jigs each time for one-of runs. I'll probably be looking at doing another batch of rods starting around the end of this month.

At the end of the day, it is good to see multiple options instead of having a giant paper weight.

67z400

#24 Post by 67z400 »

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I am a manufacturing/quality engineer. I can draw just about anything with 3D modeling software. I can then get quotes from the many machine shops I deal with and see who has the best price. Let me know if there is anything you would like me to try out.

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

There was one thing I wanted to try but I doubt most would care . On my tard sound is and issue and I have a quiet exhaust but when you crack the throttle the intake makes a lot of howl that can attract attention on those 1am hooligan rides. I was thinking of designing another cyclone with a device similar to what we use on turbos for noise reduction. A small grooved/chamber thats built into the funnel to cancel some of the howl.
As far a high stress engine parts like redesigning a rod or piston its best to leave it to the guys who know what they are doing. Its one thing for Tim to copy a existing rod but Carrillo had the software to design something better.

4strokemadman

#26 Post by 4strokemadman »

I have one of the original 3d models for this and can make a drawing if it helps.....

wistech

#27 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (4strokemadman @ Mar 9 2010, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have one of the original 3d models for this and can make a drawing if it helps.....

That is pretty sweet. It would have come in handy a few months ago . Since I had a good rod to take measurments from I guess it was a snap for the guys at Carrillo to use as a base for the new design. They kept the bottom pretty much the same and just beefed up the small end . Since they needed to know piston wieghts and rpm range I assume they have a program that can calculate the stress involved and what to do to account for it.
Ive got some other ideas I might need some original data on. Do you have anything for the valve train system.

4strokemadman

#28 Post by 4strokemadman »

Well... lets just say this....

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 21 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is pretty sweet. It would have come in handy a few months ago . Since I had a good rod to take measurments from I guess it was a snap for the guys at Carrillo to use as a base for the new design. They kept the bottom pretty much the same and just beefed up the small end . Since they needed to know piston wieghts and rpm range I assume they have a program that can calculate the stress involved and what to do to account for it.
Ive got some other ideas I might need some original data on. Do you have anything for the valve train system.

kdeal

#29 Post by kdeal »

LOL wink.gif

67z400

#30 Post by 67z400 »

Those drawings were done in ProE. I am pretty good with Inventor, ProE, and AutoCAD.

Where did you get those drawings? I am interested.