Another First!!!!

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
claas900

#21 Post by claas900 »

Tim has a crank plate with a ball bearing for the crank. We've talked about trying it to see if it would free up some HP. Get to get all we can. wink.gif

kdeal

#22 Post by kdeal »

If you want to do it, you don't need to modify the cartridge plate. The one I have has the same size bearing in a ball bearing (part number 305 something). I would be very careful to set the side to side clearance in the case though. I don't think the ball bearing set-up will like the side load with a lot of clearance.... huh.gif

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

Are you guys going senile? Don't you remember WINKY? Unless you can fit a ball bearing in there the size YFZ uses forget about it.

claas900

#24 Post by claas900 »

Yeah its a 6305. Yes we are losing our mind. Its my understanding that the Winky motors never lived long enough to test that bearing, something else failed first. We where going to leave the flywheel side stock. I think the YFZ does use the same size but I dont know that for a fact. Also the Winky bearing was a cheap 7 ball. You can get a Max 11 ball bearing, I think its bl305? Ours has 11 rollers. Plus Winkys cranks where junk, if his cranks where out of round all bets are off for the life of bearing.
Also when you think about it the input shaft on the tranny uses a 25x52x15 ball bearing same size as the R-H flywheel side bearing. Tho this bearing doesn't have the rpms it does have a great load when you look at the size of the crank gear compared to the clutch basket.
But on the other side of the token, I've heard Honda has been going to a roller bearing the there cranks also, but I don't know that for a fact either. But this idea is for a drag bike, it doent have to live for 100 hours.

cannondale27

#25 Post by cannondale27 »

I get ya. Thats different. Yes 450r's have had a roller bearing since they came out. KTM also. Why not go Ceramic for a drag motor?

claas900

#26 Post by claas900 »

Price is one reason, other is not really sure we believe all the hype. I kinda think www.microblueracing.com bearing might be something else to think about. I don't know if I really believe coatings really help that much if there is oil in the bearing already, I dunno. Its all pipe dreams right now.