Never buy a walmart battery!!!!

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
PAdalerider

#1 Post by PAdalerider »

I learned my lesson the hard way. I figured I would save a couple bucks by buying a walmart battery. The **** thing lasted three weeks and was toast. Never ever buy one!!!

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

All we can do about junk(Chinese most likely) like that is to keep returning it, complaining and trying to get our $ back. Don't let these big corporations get away with selling junk. Think about it, I bet only 1/2 or less actually go through the hassle of returning junk. That is where the Walmarts make huge profits. Don't let them. It cost good American companies and people that deserve profits jobs.

Dachshund

#3 Post by Dachshund »

When deciding to replace the batteries in my Diesel E350 from the original one, I considered the following: Should I go with good batteries like Odyssey, Optima, etc for considerably more dough or go with Wally batteries because they have a 3 year free replacement. The stock Motorcraft does not last in the diesel vans(so I was hearing from other owners) so I knew the Wally batteries had little chance of lasting also. Ultimately, I went with the EverStart's and have yet to have them last 2 years with a couple not making it to a year. The one that gives up the ghost, is the frame mounted one. I assume it is the vibration that kills it.

I have had both batteries replaced at no cost at least 4 times since replacing the stock batteries in 03. I of course change out the batteries myself as the one on the frame is a pain in the butt to change and I guarantee they would screw something up. Only once have I not had to argue the point that both batteries need to be replaced at the same time. One time I had to get the store manager involved to get both replaced.

And of course when I bring them in they have to check them and always one checks out dead and needs charged first before they can check it. One time they put it on the big charger and within 5 minutes we hear a shotgun go off in the shop. Yep it blew the top off of my bad battery.

Usually when the frame mounted battery goes, it gives me no warning and of course pulls the other battery down when I am idle somewhere and it's -80 degrees out and my auxiliaries are low enough they are not able to jump start the mains.

I by no means abuse these NeverStart batteries. I run everything(invertor, laptop, Printer/copier, TV, TV antenna, Qualcomm, cell charger, headset charger, Webasto cab heater, Wireless router, air compressor) off my Trojan deep cycle batteries that have lasted 7 years and are still going strong.

Doing it all over, I would have put a real pair in from the beginning. The hassle of changing the one underneath and the inopportune times it decides to go south is just not worth it but like you said Steve, I'll keep taking them back and I hope others do too. Just a side note; my local Wal-mart recently changed their warranty to two years instead of 3 like most others but hey, I've yet to make it to 2 years.