In the beggining there was WJ 01

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
polyesterpig

#1 Post by polyesterpig »

polyesterpig

#2 Post by polyesterpig »

polyesterpig

#3 Post by polyesterpig »

polyesterpig

#4 Post by polyesterpig »

Larger diameter tube than production motors

This is all for now. The motor has been rebuilt and not run. Looked at the piston with a scope, fresh piston and aluminum liner. A ton of red assy lube used in this motor. laugh.gif When I have time, I will tear it open and take photos for ALL of us to enjoy.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Thank You. You made my day! That is so cool. I like that flywheel. Would have taken care of spinning issue I bet. It sure doesn't look like the clutch basket can be removed through the side cover opening. If so then rest of sidecover wouldn't come off because of shiftshaft. It would hit frame before it cleared.

claas900

#6 Post by claas900 »

WOW cool beans. I'd like to see how/where the oil bridge is at. Thats cool also hows there no starter clutch, I was telling Tim a wile ago we needed to do something like that to get rid of some weight biggrin.gif .Thanks for posting pics.

promod

#7 Post by promod »

polyesterpig, So is this the long lost engine that dissapeared off ebay that i have been talking about? please reply or PM me! Thanx

NRath

#8 Post by NRath »

Definitely WAAAYY Cool!!! I'd like to hear 4strokemadman tell a few tales about it! It's surprising how similar component location and layout is, yet different in almost every way. We'll be dissecting this thing for weeks!!

QUOTE (claas900 @ Nov 18 2010, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW cool beans. I'd like to see how/where the oil bridge is at. Thats cool also hows there no starter clutch, I was telling Tim a wile ago we needed to do something like that to get rid of some weight biggrin.gif .Thanks for posting pics.

I wondered the same thing at first, then realized the oil bridge is built into the removable sidecover. And, it's also feeding the boss for the upper cam chain gear. Wonder what the path was once it got up there...

Are the timing sensor pickup wires melted?

Glad to see one of the crew got it!!

NRath

#9 Post by NRath »

Ohh, and that tranny side has been bathed in Redline! wink.gif

polyesterpig

#10 Post by polyesterpig »

Yes, The oil bridge is in the side cover. It was a pain to get off. Being careful not to pry it off and damage the sealing surfaces. In the areas where the sealant is all over the place due to trying to seal oil leaks, notice how THIN the sealing surfaces are in the castings. That is probably one of the reasons why they welded on the breather tube. The gasket was being sucked in. I think if the sealing surfaces were uniform, there would not be any sealing issues.

The timing chain and sprockets are about 1/8 inch wider.
The shift shaft has the typical 1/8th inch play.
The cartridge plate is totally different.
The Clutch has plenty of room for more clutch plates.
The head helper studs are smaller than production.
The side cover MIGHT fit current production motors, but the starter mounting bolts are closer together.

When I get time, I will post more