prototype rod & piston?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
polyesterpig

#1 Post by polyesterpig »

This is an extra Rod & Piston (I still don't know what crank/piston combo is in the engine) that came with the WJ01 engine in the other thread. I have a stock production rod and piston next to it for comparison. On the JE piston, the wristpin hole has a much larger diameter bore than the supplied wrist pin? The rod with the bushing fits the production wrist pin, but the big end is too small for a production crank. This came from the Cannondale r&d department.

promod

#2 Post by promod »

polyesterpig smile.gif , This is all cool stuff, keep the pic's and the tech coming......Thanx cool.gif

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Boy that rod is pretty. I wouldn't be comfortable running that thick of a bronze bushing though.

wayneschofield

#4 Post by wayneschofield »

Longer rod for shorter stroke (400cc).... (and shorter piston)...?

Smaller big end because the larger diameter would otherwise clash with the crank core at the shorter stroke?

Looks like the JE piston was 'borrowed' from a 2-valve car engine going by the thick oil ring and small cut-outs outboard of the intake pockets....

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

I thought same thing about JE. They actually have a very good reputation in car and truck world!

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

They were not given a fair shake in the Cannondale world due to the fact that the piston designed was made to someone's specs. They never tested the design or had much input in it. I use to run them in my TT600s with great results. The gas porting was a mistake and no structural support in the wrist pin area doomed them for us. The "X" design support bridge shown in the ASSO was a God send for who ever developed it in the HP 4 stroke world! Wider pin is a mistake as well.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

All I know is they completely ruined mine and alot of my friends motors. If JE was concerned about thier reputation and knew the design would fail they never should have put their name on it or sold it. Shame on them. Never buy one again even for the lawnmower.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Steve you can choose to buy what ever you want. But when someone gives a manufacturer a set of specs and says make this for me, how can you blame the company? Those pistons were made to order, not made by JE for a certain bike. Want a good example? How can a jack-a$$ order the same CP piston you love so much and take a grinder to it and make it completely unreliable? Must be a CP problem right? That's my point. JE never made a Cannondale piston, they made a special order piston some one asked for in a Cannondale size. I would never put a JE piston in a Cannondale motor of even my worst enemy (unless I have them copy an ASSO or CP design!) even then different alloys come into play, as each company usually has their own blend of silicone aluminum alloy.

I have and still do run JE pistons in many a race car motor, with awesome results. Wiseco as well!

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Bull.They messed up plain and simple.Not only was the design junk but the material it was made of was faulty and ate through steel!They weren't modified at all they were completely made by JE.If they didn't know what it was for they should have asked.It would be no different if I sent out a subpar crank or shock to someone and didnt take resposibility for it.It wont happen ever.Not worth it.I think you remember what I did to the crank that builder said was good and I didnt agree?It got the 4 inch grinder treatment and then sent back to him.If people dont stand behind thier work I don't give them work and I tell everyone else not to either.Its the right thing to do.

jinx44

#10 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 22 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought same thing about JE. They actually have a very good reputation in car and truck world!

Yes they do. The first set of aftermarket V8 pistons I ever bought were JEs. Completely custom, due to an odd rod length, pin height, and valve layout in an old BBF I built.

QUOTE (kdeal @ Nov 22 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TT600s

I have 2 of those at the house. smile.gif Have any spare parts or need any?