left side drive conversion

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
themadhatter

#1 Post by themadhatter »

hey guys,

ok so ive got a little project on the go, but im still waiting on all my parts from moto44 before i can start it.
but here is the general gist of what im planning.
i want to fit a trx250r motor into a dale frame, this should be pretty easy the only problem im having is changing the dale drive from right to left. i was thinking, these are my problems:

will a 250r bearing carrier fit in our dale swing arm???
can i just slide the standard carrier into the swingarm the opposite side so the drive sprocket is on the left side??
if none of these work i was thinking of swapping out the whole swinger for a trx250r "no link" one this should solve my problem.

does anybody have any things they no that could help out on this, any help would be awesome!!
sorry guys to be a pain in the butt, once both my bikes are built i mite finally get to ride!!!!
ha ha ha

cheers guys

Jay

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php...250r+conversion

This might help.
Personally I would use something with a little more power than a little 250cc honda. A 500 cc 2 stroke would be more apropriate.

marshall100

#3 Post by marshall100 »

Has anyone forced a Yam 350 twin two stroke motor into a dale? would certainly resolve the handling issues that come with a banshee.

themadhatter

#4 Post by themadhatter »

I have two trinity 421 pv motors sitting in my garage, I'm going to try and get one in the frame once I work out how to swap the drive over, wiuld it be easier to just drop the swinger off and putt a extended banshee one on rather than mod the Dale one???
Once I get all my parts over from Morgan I'll see how it fits in

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Its pretty easy to use the dale one.Just need to weld a bung on for brake stay and move everything from left to right.Banshee would be cool.Sky is limit with power out of them.Pipes would be a nightmare though.Unless you ran them underneath like a bike.

themadhatter

#6 Post by themadhatter »

So can you just slide the bearing carrier in the other way round then??
With the exhaust I've got loads of sets of out frame drag pipes so that would be easy as.

marshall100

#7 Post by marshall100 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Dec 8 2010, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its pretty easy to use the dale one.Just need to weld a bung on for brake stay and move everything from left to right.Banshee would be cool.Sky is limit with power out of them.Pipes would be a nightmare though.Unless you ran them underneath like a bike.

There might be more room there than you think, no battery for starters, and you can kiss goodbye to the ecu tray etc, though the fuel tank/carbs/air filters going to be a pain....

Almost sounds like a bit of a challenge......

I'll stick to what I know for now, which isn't much!

themadhatter

#8 Post by themadhatter »

ill put one in as a mock up and take some pics of it, i think the carbs will be fine as the motor doesnt mount from the swing arm, so you can push the motor forward a few inches for clearance. and the carbs sit ontop of the motor and only protrude out the back a couple of centimeters. it will be an animal, my mate is a banshee man, hees got a triple in one of his bikes and that thing is scary fast!!!!!
took it to santa pod and it beat a turbo busa hands down!!! ha ha ha, cost almost 18k to build tho!!!!
lucky his dad is a millionaire really.

marshall100

#9 Post by marshall100 »

I've always wanted a banshee, for as long as I've been into quads. There's a guy races one down here, and on the rare occasions that he can get it started it shifts and sounds like a chainsaw.

themadhatter

#10 Post by themadhatter »

they are awesome, ugly as **** tho!!!!
but for them not to change the design for 25years they must be doing something wright???