rod weight

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
polyesterpig

#1 Post by polyesterpig »

I need to know the difference in weight between the earlier H-beam rod and the later forged 2002-2003 rod. Just the rod, not the whole crankshaft. I have a number new later cranks and I need to send them to be balanced. I am wondering if I should have them Lightened and Balanced or add heavy metal weight to the lobes to be balanced. I am sure the counterbalancer was made to match the orignal H-beam rod. Has anybody weighed the earlier counterbalancers to the later ones, or they all the same?

Thanks

robmx03

#2 Post by robmx03 »

QUOTE (polyesterpig @ May 20 2011, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need to know the difference in weight between the earlier H-beam rod and the later forged 2002-2003 rod. Just the rod, not the whole crankshaft. I have a number new later cranks and I need to send them to be balanced. I am wondering if I should have them Lightened and Balanced or add heavy metal weight to the lobes to be balanced. I am sure the counterbalancer was made to match the orignal H-beam rod. Has anybody weighed the earlier counterbalancers to the later ones, or they all the same?

Thanks

PP,
Measurements are from a used stock rod, unknown year. Forged and coated piece.
Rod weight 307.8 g
main bearing weight 48.4 g

quick caliper dimensions:
small end ID 18.0
Small end width 17.92
Big end ID 43.01
Big end width 21.94
C to C approx 105.88
approx small end OD 25.1
approx big end OD 57.9

polyesterpig

#3 Post by polyesterpig »

Thanks for the help!

SlOoT

#4 Post by SlOoT »

I have a H-beam here, will see if I can measure it tomorrow (if I don't forget).