CRF450 Hondale

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cdale490

#1 Post by cdale490 »

My new project.......just thought I would post a few pics, to see what ya think!

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

Interesting. Looks good so far. I can't wait to see it finished. The welds look amazing.

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

One thing I like is you held the engine back. I see that took a lot of additional work. Hope the frame and cradle hold up. Most engine swaps the engine is held forward and like the Banshee the drive sprocket is quite a ways ahead of the swinger pivot bolt which required a lot of chain slack. more than once we lost the chain on the mx trac, slideing across the berms with the 18" rears. AMP link did help but was another maintance item

cdale490

#4 Post by cdale490 »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Oct 8 2011, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing I like is you held the engine back. I see that took a lot of additional work. Hope the frame and cradle hold up. Most engine swaps the engine is held forward and like the Banshee the drive sprocket is quite a ways ahead of the swinger pivot bolt which required a lot of chain slack. more than once we lost the chain on the mx trac, slideing across the berms with the 18" rears. AMP link did help but was another maintance item

The frame and cradle should be fine. If you think about it most of the stress should be on the swing arm bolt and the upper engine mount. Besides that I am only a flat tracker so no jumping for me.

Kuma

#5 Post by Kuma »

Are you concerned about the cutout for the kicker weakening the frame?
what do you have in mind for the airbox and gas tank?
Curious because I am working on a simular project, but 2 stroke I have changed out the sing arm and like you teplacing the upper shock mount.

cdale490

#6 Post by cdale490 »

QUOTE (Kuma @ Oct 9 2011, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you concerned about the cutout for the kicker weakening the frame?
what do you have in mind for the airbox and gas tank?
Curious because I am working on a simular project, but 2 stroke I have changed out the sing arm and like you teplacing the upper shock mount.

I was at first a concerned about the frame but the more I thought about it makes sense that the engine is apart of the frame now with the upper motor mount sort of tying the engine and frame together. Right now I have a 400ex gas tank that fits pretty good so I might go with that. As far as the airbox goes I am thinking just a plate with a hole and a piece of radiator hose from a car or truck for air duct with a cannondale filter.

motohybrid450

#7 Post by motohybrid450 »

Any updates ?

cdale490

#8 Post by cdale490 »

speedracer

#9 Post by speedracer »

Very nice.

sjstar

#10 Post by sjstar »

yea that looks really killer