TReX500AF (CR500 'dale)

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
Kuma

#1 Post by Kuma »

OK, so I've been looking at this project in the garage for quite some time, not getting much done. I had decided what I was going to do, now just needed to do it!
I needed to clear the shock for the intake and also the mount for the shock was in the way of the carb. a whole new rear suspension is now in the works, here is whats happening:
Stock swing arm, not going to work, I went through several options including buying a honda trx450 arm and linkage, that's not going to work either mad.gif In my stable is a '01 service honda and it happens that the measurements look promising for fitting in the dale frame. Bought another swinger off ebay, the only thing I had to do is make a new spacer for the right side to take up about .150". the 500 motor fits in the swingarm but some spacers are needed, the spacers from the cannondale swingarm are a perfect fit laugh.gif
Cut everything but the casting off of the honda swing arm, cut everything off the dale swingarm but the carrier housing, got some rectangular tubing and welded it together.
Now I need to duplicate the honda linkage mounts, machined some aluminum which will weld onto the bottom of the frame, this will allow the use of the stock honda linkage for the lower shock mount.
Now for the upper shock mount, as I mentioned, the upper dale mount is in the way of the carb, that is now cut out and the welds ground off the frame.
I was not sure of what I was going to do, I've seen other conversions using a steel mount bolted to the frame, that is the direction I was headed but was turned by someone on another site "Solid Bro" who actually supplied me with a cross member from a '01 cr250, with that I will be able to duplicate the CR rear suspension, and it is curved so it will clear the carb. I'm now ready to weld the suspension into place laugh.gif I don't know when I will have time to take it to my welder though, got honey do's next weekend, thinking of going out to Glamis the following weekend, I have to keep my priorities straight tongue.gif
Couple of other matters, Looks like my honda CR shock will interfer with the frame, rezzy. I have bought a YFZ450 shock, it's a little smaller diameter and the rezzy's clocked at about 4 o'clock rather than 3. I had to mill the top of the shock to match up with the honda mount and make a spacer for the shock bearing, bottom of the shock also needs modification, welded in some plates to make the gap in the clevis narrower, also welded up the stock bolt hole in order to match up with the honda shock length and bolt size.
Once I have the suspension done, I'll do the head stay and use the dale cradle to mount the motor. Starting the beast, may just setup to bump start at first, I'm a little aprehensive about cutting out the frame to clear the kick starter. pipe will be another challengem the bike pipe isn't going to fit as is, I'm hoping that I can cut it in one or two places and rotate and weld to fit until I can either make my own custom or spend the $1000 to have it made. for a gas tank, I'm planning to just strap on a 2 gallon blitz can in order to try'er out.
My goal is to at least bring it to the dunes, fire it up and ride it around camp by the easter!
Now you all know what I'm doing, I've got a long road ahead, I'm actually toying with building 2 of these, that is why I'm looking for another carrier housing for a 'dale swingarm.
I'll put some pictures in once I get some more welding done.

Kuma

#2 Post by Kuma »

[attachment=11765:quad_1.JPG]
Here is a picture of what I have going, more to come

Kuma

#3 Post by Kuma »

[attachment=11766:quad_3.JPG]
And another

Kuma

#4 Post by Kuma »

[attachment=11767:shock_1.JPG]
Last one for now

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

Looks like is was made for the dale chassis,great job.

cannondale32

#6 Post by cannondale32 »

Looks sweet man Keep us updated

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

Looks good..

Kuma

#8 Post by Kuma »

More pics

Still havve along ways to go but at least it is still moving forward

speedracer

#9 Post by speedracer »

With that pipe on there,I guess I know what the Dale is built for,very nice!

Kuma

#10 Post by Kuma »

Looks like I'm on track for taking this out in October, currnetly have a 400ex tank strapped on, pipe mounted, all motor mounts done. Actual bump started and ran it back up the driveway smile.gif
Won't really be able to tell what the vibrations are like until I can really run it under load.