Project Husa-Dale is complete

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
themadhatter

#31 Post by themadhatter »

QUOTE (marshall100 @ Dec 5 2011, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a thought, how have you managed to get round the handbrake problem for the MOT? Looking at my dale there's no way that brake could be modified to take a cable.

i havent, just have a good friend who does my MOT, ive been reaserching about that. form what i can get from the DVLA if the bike was never originally fitted with one it doesnt have to have one now. if it does then it would be classed as a factory recall and as cannondale dont exist anymore then it cannot be fitted otherwise the bike will be considered modified from standard condition and the insurance and tax bracket of the vehicle will change, plus if it has been retrofitted by anyone else other than the manufacturer then it would need to be SVA tested to make sure its fitted safly and be stamped on the vehicle reference sheets.
to be honest its all a load of crap if you ask me!!!

marshall100

#32 Post by marshall100 »

It's a steaming pile of bull to be honest mate. Your on top of the situation from what you've said. I'm lucky the gasser has the setup to accept a cable as it is otherwise that wouldn't be back on the road. It's a joke though, the parking brake on the dale is way better than any cable operated item.

Could be one of the only road legal dales in the country soon I reckon.

jesshamner

#33 Post by jesshamner »

Why on earth would they prevent you from using an superior brake system? Do they prevent shade tree mechanics from working on automobile brakes too?

MX Quad Dad

#34 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I was thinking they were talking about the parking brake???????. even here in the U.S. air or Hydraulic applied park brake are not legal and park brake is required on cars and truck even though most do not funcktion correctly after a year or so on our MI. salted roads.

marshall100

#35 Post by marshall100 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Dec 5 2011, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why on earth would they prevent you from using an superior brake system? Do they prevent shade tree mechanics from working on automobile brakes too?

I think there's a theory that a quad parked up with a hydraulic brake will move after a 2 week period. Basically, VOSA (vehicle governing body in the uk) bought two quads for about ??8000, parked them on a 1 in 45 slope with hydraulic parking brakes and after they'd moved decided that it was time to have a cable operated system as well. If you have a fully automatic quad, your exempt from the ruling. But like The madhatter says, it's just not that straight forward. I think it's going to the european court of appeal, as on the continent, no such law exists and the SVA test that a quad has to go through in the uk is supposed to be the most stringent test in the country. I had to retro fit one on my gasgas which fortunately has a setup similar to a yamaha, suzuki or honda. It has bits of each to make it work. blink.gif

As for the arguement on hydraulic parking brakes, I would argue that cables don't stretch or snap?

Thought not.

marshall100

#36 Post by marshall100 »

It's nuts really, a quad isn't classed as a car or a bike, and until they work that out, the mess will continue.

jesshamner

#37 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Dec 5 2011, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking they were talking about the parking brake???????. even here in the U.S. air or Hydraulic applied park brake are not legal and park brake is required on cars and truck even though most do not funcktion correctly after a year or so on our MI. salted roads.

I didn't even think of that but you're right. The cannondale is only parking brake that ever worked for me on a quad.

MX Quad Dad

#38 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Dec 5 2011, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't even think of that but you're right. The cannondale is only parking brake that ever worked for me on a quad.

Yep, both my dales and both Polaris parking brakes have worked flawless for me, of coarse the Polaris hand brake applies all three calipers so as long as no leak you are going to have to slide all four tires to move it.

On the argument of cables over hydraulic, I will say that the likelihood of a hydraulic bleed down is more likely than a cable breaking after it has been successfully set but both rely on good maintainance and no matter how good a parking brake you have it doesn't help if the rider doesn't apply it

also a slight malfunction of a cable system may cause the brakes to not fully release which could overheat the brake causing brake fade for an unsuspecting rider blink.gif