Transmission

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
dooberdog5

#1 Post by dooberdog5 »

[attachment=11890:080.jpg][attachment=11889:003.jpg] Starter clutch wore out so i started pop starting it and i know this isn't good for it but it doesn't take much to start and i only weigh 185 . Went out one day pop started it and let it warm up took of in a wheelie went to shift into 3rd and there was no 3rd to shift into . The shift lever felt like it had broken inside and there was to much side to side play in the arm . The final end of pop starting resulted in 2 clutch disc's broke into pieces and ground itself to death to where there are no pieces to be found and where the 2 disc were broke they ground a groove into the clutch hub and shift washer to connect shift arm to the shift drum was missing (my first thought) and no where to be found .

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

You have/had the thin clutch plates in there.They work but do require much more attention to than the thick updated plates.Buy yourself a set of the new ones along with anything else needed once you pull the motor to remove the sidecover.I would pay attention to the timing chain guides and the trans pump and passages.This was easily preventable as I am sure you know.Also when bump starting try doing it in 4th or 5th but you must immediately pull clutch in once it starts.Much easier on the entire motor than 1st gear bump.You have your work cut out for you but will be worth it.We all learn from mistakes dont be discouraged.