loctite

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

laugh.gif Devils Blood is what I call it!ATK also used it.I have snapped bolts that were Loctited in with the stuff.Even heat doesnt help.

NRath

#12 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (kdeal @ May 30 2012, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neil,

I have used and highly recommend the red CRC brand of brake clean. ZERO issues and it did hold up well in his testing. PM me if you need the user's name and he can give you all of the details.

Ken

No need, I certainly take your word for it! I've used CRC in the past, but right now I have a pile of cans I bought at Advance on a BOGO sale. I'll get CRC for threadlocking duties, though. Thanks for the details.

QUOTE (kdeal @ May 30 2012, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Red loctite comes in different grades. I use 271 from Permatex and you can get it apart with regular tools. There is a "permanent" version out there that does take extra effort or heat to release..... I know because Tim uses it.......

I did a bit of research on it years ago. Regular red thats readily available is 262. It doesn't hold up in oil at high temps- retention strength is greatly diminished. There is a high temp red that I use, don't remember the # I'd have to look at my bottle, but it holds up much better in hot oil bath according to Loctites charts. I unfortunately don't remember the specs off the top of my head.

I saw the super duty permanent stuff, but I'm pretty sure I'll be taking most everything apart at some point, so I steered clear of that one!

rayspeed

#13 Post by rayspeed »

Its the green that is permanant and I have never had a use for it.
When you use the red properly it is pretty much a requirement to take a motor apart with an impact gun with impact rated sockets and bits. I start out with a good 3/8" drive gun which gets most of them out but sometimes I have to break out harder hitting half inch. I turn it all the way down and adjust it up while pulling the trigger and holding it hard into the bolt and praying.
So far that has worked well and I have not had to use heat very often.