head porting

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
2002dale

#1 Post by 2002dale »

Does black widow CNC or hand port the head? I just pulled it apart tonight and im looking for more power. The cams and buckets look new. Where do they do most of the porting on the head and do they port only one way or is the a mild and extreme way they port the head?

I have- cannibal with 60hrs on it.
moto tune dont know the rpm max?
big guns race silp on
2in intake runner/port
blots re-done with lock tight in side the engine
melt oil pump gear
engine ice coolant (the valve cover needs to be replace after 8year of sitting) aluminum one going back on.

beanie$440$peed

#2 Post by beanie$440$peed »

QUOTE (2002dale @ Jul 18 2012, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does black widow CNC or hand port the head? I just pulled it apart tonight and im looking for more power. The cams and buckets look new. Where do they do most of the porting on the head and do they port only one way or is the a mild and extreme way they port the head?

I have- cannibal with 60hrs on it.
moto tune dont know the rpm max?
big guns race silp on
2in intake runner/port
blots re-done with lock tight in side the engine
melt oil pump gear
engine ice coolant (the valve cover needs to be replace after 8year of sitting) aluminum one going back on.
timbo or wiztech..both on this forum

beanie$440$peed

#3 Post by beanie$440$peed »

Oops wistech

2002dale

#4 Post by 2002dale »

Were does the head benefit the most from.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Timbomoose!

rayspeed

#6 Post by rayspeed »

Travis did his porting by hand which is not necessarily a bad thing however cnc porting tends to give more consistent results. Customer could have just ordered a mild clean up job there... who knows! Work is generally done to both the intake and exhaust side and allot of material comes out of the intake side. There are not too many shops that spent the time to come up with the cnc models, perfect and test our stuff like they have with the more abundant makes. Not quite sure if Tim does them with a cnc or by hand exactly but has been dyno proven to be about as good as it gets. If you get his bored out throttle body and cyclone intake they are all matched and just that there is good for a couple more hp on the top end in addition to the several the the porting gives you.

I sort of cringe at the idea of you having him go over your head again as there could be material that he leaves that could be missing now and possibly the best results would come from starting with an unmolested head. If it would be the same cost wise it would be a shame to have him go back over yours because it is should certainly flow somewhat better than stock. If you want you can send yours to him for evaluation and if he thinks it would be better to start fresh or the cost is the same either way he has a stock head of mine right now that I would eagerly swap you for!
Ray

Haz-Matt

#7 Post by Haz-Matt »

Call Timbomoose

2002dale

#8 Post by 2002dale »

Well I stared porting it my self tonight. I took out the hump near the intake valves on the short radius side and on the long radius side i smoothed out that small ridge. The throat i cut the v spilt down closer to the valves and smooth it all out. I didn't take much if any in the exhaust valve. Also on the short radius side. Two stone bits and some WD-40 worked great. I'm going to use some sand paper rolls tomorrow to polish it up. I'm doing it myself because i figured what better way to learn.

Should I put the better valves in or leave the stock ones in? Im trying to out run my buddys 680 something raptor. I dont need much lol.

Kuma

#9 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (2002dale @ Jul 22 2012, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I stared porting it my self tonight. I took out the hump near the intake valves on the short radius side and on the long radius side i smoothed out that small ridge. The throat i cut the v spilt down closer to the valves and smooth it all out. I didn't take much if any in the exhaust valve. Also on the short radius side. Two stone bits and some WD-40 worked great. I'm going to use some sand paper rolls tomorrow to polish it up. I'm doing it myself because i figured what better way to learn.

Should I put the better valves in or leave the stock ones in? Im trying to out run my buddys 680 something raptor. I dont need much lol.

You want to be careful not to cut into a water jacket, there is a post somewhere, where someone sectioned a head, I know there are some areas that you need to be really careful,
Good luck!

2002dale

#10 Post by 2002dale »

I finished the polishing today. It turn out pretty nice considering its my first port/polish job. I'll order my new gaskets and valve cover next pay day and attempt to put this puzzle back together. It would be nice to spank my buddys 48rwhp Craptor(raptor). As for his 74rwhp 975cc Can-am thats going to be another attempt to biuld a motor.