after market cams.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
j2004jeepwrangler

#1 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

I really don't know where this should really be posted. But here goes, but who make after market cams, and was they any good. Im thinking of trying to figure out what the stock valve lift is and they finding out the piston to valve clearance is with an 11.5 comp piston. And having a head flowbench with the stock valve lift then with well with a lift more then stock but yet still a safe aftmarket lift. To even see if it worth going any further. But if its a gain worth while to find a cnc shop to make some cams out of a billet core. I could use some help and thoughts.

haulinit

#2 Post by haulinit »

Our stock cams are already pretty aggressive... some of the guys have tinkered with other cams with limited success. They have shown some power increases over stock, but power increase vs investment wasn't of the best ratio. I'm not trying to deter progress but our stock cams will make more then enough power.

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I think a good related question to this would be about aftermarket replacements for when the stock of factory cams runs dry.

j2004jeepwrangler

#4 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

I guess if a cam are good enough. What is the best cam degree I should run with a ported head? I wanna break 50hp on stock cc. Ill add the 450. Kit down the road. As far as airfilter set up I have just a air filter on top of the throttle body.

haulinit

#5 Post by haulinit »

Who gives I agree...It is already getting rather difficult to get ahold of a set of good cams.

Mr. Wrangler you will have to talk to Wistech or Kdeal to acheive those numbers. I'm running 109I/106E which has proven to be a power maker. Generally three degrees of speration between the cams and the intake being the higher of the two.

j2004jeepwrangler

#6 Post by j2004jeepwrangler »

not to sound stupid. but i think you can just buy a billet core from comp cams. and have them c&c to the factor cam. then have them harden and then heat treated or whatever prosces is involed.

speedfreek

#7 Post by speedfreek »

QUOTE (j2004jeepwrangler @ Feb 22 2013, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not to sound stupid. but i think you can just buy a billet core from comp cams. and have them c&c to the factor cam. then have them harden and then heat treated or whatever prosces is involed.

There is more to it than that and the guys that can explain why are Wistech, K-deal or Timbomoose. As far as breaking 50 hp, mine is 50.40 with stock crank. stock asso piston and very conservative timing. To break 50 or come pretty close you need to have aggressive porting, bored throttle body. cyclone air filter and a good hi-flow exhaust. Have your porting done by Wistech or Timbomoose and have Timbomoose tune you up on his dyno and you'll have one sweet runnin machine. Good luck.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

50hp is obtainable at the rear wheels with the items that are mentioned. GOOD porting is a must. The air filter set-up you have is costing you some power up top. You need a velocity type stack base plate with the air filter attachecd over it. For timing the numbers quoted above with the porting, air filter and a good non-restricve exhaust should put you at 49-52 HP at the rear wheels.

As for the cams, Web Cams made a set of rewelds with a little more in the numbers (lift and duration) but they never lasted long in the motors with the stock valve buckets. Any cam testing should be done with DLC coated aftermarket buckets. Lift numbers are in the service manual if you need them, they are quite high for a stock motor.

Good Luck.