Case savers?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
ShifT714

#1 Post by ShifT714 »

Anybody make em for the dales? I couldn't find em so I made my own out of polyurethane. n was wondering if anybody else would be interested in them? Ill throw some pictures up tomorrow.

Bvcracingcdale

#2 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

Post up a few pics

promod

#3 Post by promod »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx dry.gif

exotic rider

#4 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (promod @ May 6 2013, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been making & using them on my C'Dales since almost day one! wink.gif

if you ever feel the need to make a spare ,one of those would look great on my 440-(i would of course pay for it)

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Wouldnt the technical term for those be casebreakers? From experience I know that if a chain does break and you have a nice big chunk of metal there it snaps the bosses clean off the case. It did protect the hose that was right in front of the chain though . So I guess a better term would be hose saver. tongue.gif

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Mydreamride made some out of poly and built them so they didnt rely on the bolts for strength. He made them contour on the case for support.

ShifT714

#7 Post by ShifT714 »

Wish I had access to a mill! Ill throw some pics up in a little bit!

promod

#8 Post by promod »

I removed my reply to this post and pic of the ones as stated I have made for my C'Dales and I have also made for all the other exotic brands I ride where there not offered off the shelf because I don't wont anyone to destroy there case on my account of what someone else feels will happen, but can and did see there point back when I started making them years ago out of Alumi for other brands!

But I don't care if you make them out of Alumi or Poly (or even with using the stock C/S sprocket cover and alumi backing support) the same thing can happen!, a case saver is not a guaranteed thing that will save your case!, but I have been riding off-road bikes and using them for almost 40 years and have not broke a case yet from a thrown chain, but the only time I have ever thrown a chain was something getting lodged between the chain and sprockets, as with the proper routine maintenance of chain tension and alignment, chain and sprocket replacement and rear suspension sag set-up and proper functioning and in good alignment condition chain guide your odds you wont throw a chain!, and as stated I have thrown chains on my C'Dales and other brands in the instances of things getting lodged between chain and sprocket or rear sprocket chain guide without any damage to the hydro slave cylinder, manual clutch case pivot shaft boss or broken any broken mounting bosses using them!, just my opinion and in my own thrown chain instances they have worked for me and hopefully will continue to work and I will keep using them! tongue.gif

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

Poly>metal for case savers. Poly flexes and absorbs the chain. Aluminum or steel do exactly what Wistech was talking about.

promod

#10 Post by promod »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ May 6 2013, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Poly>metal for case savers. Poly flexes and absorbs the chain. Aluminum or steel do exactly what Wistech was talking about.

Sure poly flexes and yes would more than likely be better, easier & cheaper to use for making such, but it still mounts the same way to aluminum or magnesium bosses on the cases....and a hard enough impact from a thrown chain its not going to flex enough forward to not cause the same problem as even though the case saver is poly the bolts that mount it are not that screws into those bosses so if the chain impact is there the screws in bosses take the same punishment also and those screws are longer and theres the part of the screws/bolts whatever thats there sticking up above the bosses into and for the thickness of the case saver!, as have seen a case broke that had a aftermarket made poly case saver on it on a Kawi KX from the neglect of sprocket/chain/alignment issues and maintenance from owner.....but again all just my opinion that NO material used in the making of a case saver is not a 100% guarantee against a broken case from a thrown chain!, if anyone can make them out of any material and give me that guarantee I will buy several from them and stop wasting my time making my own!