Case savers?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
jesshamner

#11 Post by jesshamner »

What you're saying is definitely valid. I have had my chain derail twice on my Honda. During the first event, I was riding hard and passing someone on a hill climb. The chain derailed and tore my nice aftermarket aluminum case save out of the case, and punched a hole in the stator cover. I had to replace the case saver and the stator cover. I have pics somewhere. I'll post them when I can. The lower case saver mount now only has about half the threads left. IIRC, the top mount was not broken. I bought a TM designworks poly case saver and mounted it in the leftover threads. I went back to Turkey Bay and derailed the chain again. This time, it really jammed in between the sprocket and the case save but the case saver mounting bolts didn't budge. The case saver flexed enough to jam into the stator cover which helped keep it from ripping the mounting bolts out. No I wasn't riding as hard, but it really jammed in there tight and put a lot of pressure on the case saver.

This is why I say Poly>Metal. However, I realize that on the Cannondale, there is a large gap between the case saver and the stator cover. And that the stator cover is usually plastic.

promod

#12 Post by promod »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ May 6 2013, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went back to Turkey Bay

Well, Im off that subject now as I believe all points have been made in regards to them of what they should or should not be made of and there functions of saving or destroying as its all in the circumstances of how hard that chain is thrown and how much of it ends up at the front and in what configuration of a mess that chain is in!

But Wow!, Are you talking about Turkey Bay in LBL on the trace in Western KY almost at the TN line?, If so im only about 30 minuites from there!, cut my teeth riding bikes there over 40 years ago and still ride and camp there all the time! (well they have it closed right now because of high water from all the rain we have been getting and opening the dams to relieve all the rivers that come together in this area!) But if so its a small world and we are lucky to have this OHV area to ride in...although most people don't like it because it is so rocky, tree rooted, rutted out from big trucks and such, muddy or dusty depending on time of year and weather....but I find that part the fun technical skilled part about riding there....and the above mentioned terrain there is all the time changing which makes it even more fun and challenging!, So if you ride there often we might run into each other as I will be the guy on the C'Dale and/or some other weird branded Euro bike as take up several just in case one goes down as not to spoil my fun! laugh.gif

exotic rider

#13 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (promod @ May 6 2013, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, Im off that subject now as I believe all points have been made in regards to them of what they should or should not be made of and there functions of saving or destroying as its all in the circumstances of how hard that chain is thrown and how much of it ends up at the front and in what configuration of a mess that chain is in!

But Wow!, Are you talking about Turkey Bay in LBL on the trace in Western KY almost at the TN line?, If so im only about 30 minuites from there!, cut my teeth riding bikes there over 40 years ago and still ride and camp there all the time! (well they have it closed right now because of high water from all the rain we have been getting and opening the dams to relieve all the rivers that come together in this area!) But if so its a small world and we are lucky to have this OHV area to ride in...although most people don't like it because it is so rocky, tree rooted, rutted out from big trucks and such, muddy or dusty depending on time of year and weather....but I find that part the fun technical skilled part about riding there....and the above mentioned terrain there is all the time changing which makes it even more fun and challenging!, So if you ride there often we might run into each other as I will be the guy on the C'Dale and/or some other weird branded Euro bike as take up several just in case one goes down as not to spoil my fun! laugh.gif
I can honestly say that since 1991 when i started riding to present day that the ONLY time i ever threw a chain was do to worn out swingarm bearings,under normal circumstances and most importantly proper maintenance you should not be loosing your chain.this includes my mx days in which the chain would take a beating,but a properly adjusted and maintained chain has yet to fail me.

jesshamner

#14 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ May 6 2013, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can honestly say that since 1991 when i started riding to present day that the ONLY time i ever threw a chain was do to worn out swingarm bearings,under normal circumstances and most importantly proper maintenance you should not be loosing your chain.this includes my mx days in which the chain would take a beating,but a properly adjusted and maintained chain has yet to fail me.

The first time was because a piece of wood got lodged in between the chain, sprocket, and sprocket guard. The second time was because my chain was worn and I had not realized it yet. We're all good now.

jesshamner

#15 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (promod @ May 6 2013, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. That Turkey Bay. Is there another one? LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2X_h56_myE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu2hllvwbog

promod

#16 Post by promod »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ May 6 2013, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I stated in my earlier reply "Quote: as with the proper routine maintenance of chain tension and alignment, chain and sprocket replacement and rear suspension sag set-up and proper functioning and in good alignment condition chain guide your odds you wont throw a chain" rolleyes.gif

And also Exotic Rider I like your signature phrase :PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE.

exotic rider

#17 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (promod @ May 6 2013, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's what I stated in my earlier reply "Quote: as with the proper routine maintenance of chain tension and alignment, chain and sprocket replacement and rear suspension sag set-up and proper functioning and in good alignment condition chain guide your odds you wont throw a chain" rolleyes.gif

And also Exotic Rider I like your signature phrase :PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE.

thanks,I take bike set up pretty serious, I take a lot of flak from guys i ride with because i will spend so much time cleaning and preping my bike(s) before each ride ,but i almost never have any issues once out in the woods. I try to tell guys that its a lot more fun to ride than push these things.

promod

#18 Post by promod »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ May 6 2013, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh Yeh!, Liked the vid's, see you went out on the peninsula, I love it, real fun on a bike, we was there once when it was about a foot under water (which is a lot of time of year just that under water)...well being the show off I am (really not though!) I thought i would give it a try as been there done that before....well it started out about a foot under water...but soon found out it was a lot deeper as was washed out in a place farther out.....long story short...my Husky was rescued by a couple guys in a fishing boat and brought back to shore in the boat! laugh.gif

promod

#19 Post by promod »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ May 6 2013, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks,I take bike set up pretty serious, I take a lot of flak from guys i ride with because i will spend so much time cleaning and preping my bike(s) before each ride ,but i almost never have any issues once out in the woods. I try to tell guys that its a lot more fun to ride than push these things.

We think the same way & I take the same flak from my freinds!, but I just tell them i know my bike is right and me and my bike looks **** good going out....maybe not coming back in though...the looking good part that is! laugh.gif

exotic rider

#20 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (promod @ May 6 2013, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We think the same way & I take the same flak from my freinds!, but I just tell them i know my bike is right and me and my bike looks **** good going out....maybe not coming back in though...the looking good part that is! laugh.gif

nothing like capping off a long day in the woods with a hose,bucket n a beer.lol