Case savers?

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

I have snapped a few chains IceRacing. Twice with Banshee. Nasty Carnage. Poly case saver would work and I cant believe you guys would let someone discourage you enough to take down pics! Never threw a chain on a Dale they have a very good design to prevent it especially with a 15t sprocket and nice chainguides. But never say never.

ShifT714

#22 Post by ShifT714 »

that escalated quickly..

anywho. here are the pictures. i've had good luck and never thrown a chain before but i always run a case saver just in case. like others have stated, its more of a case guard, no guarantee that it'll save the case if the chain goes. heres the rough draft of mine. still have some trimming and drilling to do.

NRath

#23 Post by NRath »

My take on the "case saver" is that it needs to be wider than the chain and the top section really should be larger to block the chain wrap inherent to the failure. That upper chain roller has probably been the key to reducing cracked cannondale cases as it will stop the chain from whipping around and guide it into the sprocket/case saver. However, that small little point Cannondale put on the tip of the oem one looks perfect to hook in between a couple rollers and rip the boss off as the chain flys through.

Like others, I've never had one break. I'm pretty conscious of replacing the chain once both sides of the side plates are about worn flat. And sprockets are usually about shot by then, too. Can't think of ever having one derail either.

Only way I could ever see it breaking a stator cover is if you ride like a girl. Hmm, go figure...

LOL! tongue.gif

jesshamner

#24 Post by jesshamner »

Wow...I think we need a circle jerk emoticon for you guys. Chains fail unexpectedly sometimes and things happen. I'm definitely not a poster child for garage queen maintenance. But after all, I fill my engine with sand and ride on a arms that are downright unsafe.

I cracked the stator cover on my Honda which is a totally different design and is much closer to the sprocket than the cdale. I was just speaking on the material used...not necessarily the application. ;-)

LOL...sometimes I don't even know why I post anything on this site.

Edit:[attachment=12647:jerkit.gif]

cannondale27

#25 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (promod @ May 6 2013, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I removed my reply to this post and pic of the ones as stated I have made for my C'Dales and I have also made for all the other exotic brands I ride where there not offered off the shelf because I don't wont anyone to destroy there case on my account of what someone else feels will happen, but can and did see there point back when I started making them years ago out of Alumi for other brands!

But I don't care if you make them out of Alumi or Poly (or even with using the stock C/S sprocket cover and alumi backing support) the same thing can happen!, a case saver is not a guaranteed thing that will save your case!, but I have been riding off-road bikes and using them for almost 40 years and have not broke a case yet from a thrown chain, but the only time I have ever thrown a chain was something getting lodged between the chain and sprockets, as with the proper routine maintenance of chain tension and alignment, chain and sprocket replacement and rear suspension sag set-up and proper functioning and in good alignment condition chain guide your odds you wont throw a chain!, and as stated I have thrown chains on my C'Dales and other brands in the instances of things getting lodged between chain and sprocket or rear sprocket chain guide without any damage to the hydro slave cylinder, manual clutch case pivot shaft boss or broken any broken mounting bosses using them!, just my opinion and in my own thrown chain instances they have worked for me and hopefully will continue to work and I will keep using them! tongue.gif

Jess I was referring to the above post not yours. I for one would like to see ProMods saver also. Instead he was scared away by some negativity and deleted his pics. So what are you bothered about?

jesshamner

#26 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ May 7 2013, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jess I was referring to the above post not yours. I for one would like to see ProMods saver also. Instead he was scared away by some negativity and deleted his pics. So what are you bothered about?

I wasn't bothered too bad. I definitely wasn't bothered by anything you said. People talk about never derailing our breaking a chain... if it never happens, then why run a case saver.

promod

#27 Post by promod »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ May 7 2013, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

C27, I just removed my pic's of the case savers I have made for the C'Dales since day one and for my other bikes and the negatives posted about it I did not wont to encourage anyone to make one out of the same material and feel responsible if it didn't work for them and destroyed there cases as I would feel bad about it, a lot of you guys are smarter than me, but I can say using my savers I never lost a case or any other damage by throwing a chain because of using them because as I stated the only time I have thrown a chain was not due to proper maintenance but something getting in between chain and sprocket, but it did save my case, but still would not guarantee that it wont if it happens again!, but for you my friend I am putting the pics back up, as like you I do feel we should not delete our pics of ideas on what we make or modify...as its all trial & error...for anyone on hear if they admit error or not!, but as stated before on my previous post I also had concerns on using Alumi as a material!, I remember when other aftermarket companies made them from steel for other brands!

But I do really like what SHIFT714 made his out of and it looks good!, And by the way SHIFT714 where did you get the material? been wanting some poly like that for another purpose but really haven't started looking for it!

Sorry guys on voicing my opinions....but that all they were my opinions and not fact as do not claim to be the C'Dale knowledge king!

Will also post up some pics when project is finished on my Atk/C'Dale bike equipt with the A-Trak (AMP) system that was unique and worked and was what really founded ATK and have installed on several of my other branded bikes, as I felt this bike being a ATK badged C'Dale bike was a tribute to horst Leitner (founder of ATK!) for it and should be done! wink.gif

rayspeed

#28 Post by rayspeed »

IMHO it is when a chain gets to where it starts kinking up on its own..as in if you were to take it odd and make a shape with it and hang it to where it should roll out straight is when a case saver has little to no chance of saving you. Other than that it seems to be more of a luck of the draw kind of thing.
On a related note don't waste your $44 on those gold oring chains listed on ebay under cannondale... total junk in hardly no time.
The best value I have found is the did atv x ring chain for around $75 or less, it lasts as long or longer than the high dollar chains.

NRath

#29 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (NRath @ May 7 2013, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty conscious of replacing the chain once both sides of the side plates are about worn flat. And sprockets are usually about shot by then, too. Can't think of ever having one derail either.

I wasn't trying to imply that chains are breaking from lack of maintenance, just pointing out that I'm probably overly cautious once I see the plates getting flat. That and LUCK are the reasons I haven't had any failures. Luck probably being the biggest factor as there's a pro or 2 every year that breaks a chain in the GNCC's and you know theirs are new every race. I believe Cannondales are particularly prone to chain wear. I guess between that long swingarm buffer and the guide block, they wear big time. None of the other machines I've had or worked on seem to wear them as quickly.

QUOTE (NRath @ May 7 2013, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only way I could ever see it breaking a stator cover is if you ride like a girl. Hmm, go figure...

As for this one, oh yeah, straight implication that Jess rides like a girl!! But purely kidding! He's a heck of a rider and I can't wait for the next time we get to romp some trails together. I had a ball in WV trying to keep up with him and WhiteZee a couple weeks ago. And apparently sand in the motor is working for you as I think your quads have stayed running everytime we've been riding over the years!

Like you guys said, there's no doubt with the crazy stuff we put these machines through that shiznit happens. With rocks flying the potential for derailing or breaking is there at any time. It wouldn't surprise me the least if I break 2 chains this summer as I'm overdue. Or, maybe I'll be lucky a little longer.

Promod- that's a nice looking piece! You make it or have friends in the right places?

ShifT714

#30 Post by ShifT714 »

Promod I got it from MSC supply.