Time to fix those swing arm needle bearing problems...

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
promod

#11 Post by promod »

Been reading this thread on the swingarm bearing issues, Question on the C'Dale bikes which I only ride & own never had any issues except doing routine maintenance, but the issues you are taking about has this just been a problem with the quads because of the extra weight etc on the rear end? I know they use the same bearing kit...but just looking for some info on this topic if it has cropped up on the bikes which I never heard speak of or seen, and mentioned there was a change in '03 swingarms...was this just another quad thing, as never seen a change on the bike swingarms on the pivot end!!

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

Mark A while back I sent out some of the factory 03 bushings to someone who was doing this mod . Was it you ?
The early quad swingarms have a hole right in the middle where the pressure of the needle bearings is pressing the most . The thin outer race on the bearing itself is the only thing supporting the load so after a while the race breaks up. and falls into the hole.
one trick around this that would last a tad longer was to get a wider bearing with a built in seal that put some of the load more on the edgeof the supported part. You also move the wide inner bearing race to the inside and the short one to the outside of the swingarm. I update the hollow swingarm pivot bolts by cutting off the hollow rolled threads and installing a solid threaded rod so it will never fail. Then tap out the right side of the bolt and install a zerk. Drill a small lube hole in the inner race so lube passes through . It also works with the poly bushings.

450blaze

#13 Post by 450blaze »

U selling these plastic bushings?

m_mcgranahan

#14 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (Wistech @ May 9 2013, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mark A while back I sent out some of the factory 03 bushings to someone who was doing this mod . Was it you ?
The early quad swingarms have a hole right in the middle where the pressure of the needle bearings is pressing the most . The thin outer race on the bearing itself is the only thing supporting the load so after a while the race breaks up. and falls into the hole.
one trick around this that would last a tad longer was to get a wider bearing with a built in seal that put some of the load more on the edge of the supported part. You also move the wide inner bearing race to the inside and the short one to the outside of the swingarm. I update the hollow swingarm pivot bolts by cutting off the hollow rolled threads and installing a solid threaded rod so it will never fail. Then tap out the right side of the bolt and install a zerk. Drill a small lube hole in the inner race so lube passes through . It also works with the poly bushings.

Hi,

Nope that was not me that you sent the swing arms to have them sleeved but I am now setup to do this if someone wants it done. And yes that is the idea of this fix is to sleeve that gap in the back and keep from smashing the race into that hole. I have already been using the wider bearings w/ seals and they did last longer, but still got smashed in time. (I think motocross has got to be one of the worst things you can do to these pivot bearings, and that's pretty much all I ride.)

God bless...
Mark

promod

#15 Post by promod »

QUOTE (promod @ May 9 2013, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been reading this thread on the swingarm bearing issues, Question on the C'Dale bikes which I only ride & own never had any issues except doing routine maintenance, but the issues you are taking about has this just been a problem with the quads because of the extra weight etc on the rear end? I know they use the same bearing kit...but just looking for some info on this topic if it has cropped up on the bikes which I never heard speak of or seen, and mentioned there was a change in '03 swingarms...was this just another quad thing, as never seen a change on the bike swingarms on the pivot end!!

bumping this question....if anyone can answer this or any info on the motorcycle swingarms with this bearing situation PLEASE reply! Thanx & Ciao, MW

Dachshund

#16 Post by Dachshund »

QUOTE (promod @ May 11 2013, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bumping this question....if anyone can answer this or any info on the motorcycle swingarms with this bearing situation PLEASE reply! Thanx & Ciao, MW

I just rebuilt a 02 E440 and it had the steel sleeves.

450blaze

#17 Post by 450blaze »

Are plastic bushings available

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

I sought anyone has had a run done for the rears arms. I think just the fronts were done . Sometime this summer when I get to my next restoration ill make a couple extra .

m_mcgranahan

#19 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Got an early start on sleeving another swing arm today. :-) that mill is such a blast!!!

God bless...
Mark

m_mcgranahan

#20 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

SO it is so nice to get more than a few rides before I start getting play in the swing arm pivot bearings! The chromoly sleeves seem to be the solution!

GOd bless...
Mark