Time to fix those swing arm needle bearing problems...

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
m_mcgranahan

#1 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

So I have had it with having my swing arm bearings breaking all the time. Under hard acceleration, the swing arm is pulled into the pivot bolt and it crushes the back of the needle bearings into the gap in the back side of the bearing bore.

I think I have it solved. Take a look...

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/m_mcgran...?sort=3&o=0

THanks

God bless...

Mark

m_mcgranahan

#2 Post by m_mcgranahan »

just a quick hint it involves the use of some 4130 chromoly :-)

Dachshund

#3 Post by Dachshund »

If I have this correct, the bearing cage was deforming the stock steel pressed in sleeve? So it looks like you bored out the aluminum and put a thicker chromoly sleeve in.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Are you converting it to the newerstyle with the sleeves?
On a side note the 2 piece poly ones with the factory prototype sleeves still have no play in them. I just hit them with the grease gun once a year through the pivot bolt zerk.

m_mcgranahan

#5 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ May 8 2013, 06:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I have this correct, the bearing cage was deforming the stock steel pressed in sleeve? So it looks like you bored out the aluminum and put a thicker chromoly sleeve in.

Yep due to the open back of the bearing bore in the swing arm. I bored out the swing arm and pressed in and epoxied this chromoly sleeve in place. I can still run the stock or longer needle bearings in it.

God bless...
Mark

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

Wistech, didn't you have a buddy that created some bushings to replace the needle bearings?

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Wow has it been that long? http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...lastic&st=0

I built a couple sets as I restore the fleet. The bushings are easy but the stainless is a PITA. Its a farm out job for mass production.

NRath

#8 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ May 8 2013, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

So I have had it with having my swing arm bearings breaking all the time. Under hard acceleration, the swing arm is pulled into the pivot bolt and it crushes the back of the needle bearings into the gap in the back side of the bearing bore.

I'm with you on this, I've replaced mine quite a few times over the years. Definitely seems to be a problem too often. However, since I went to an '03 swingarm, I haven't had any needles broken, just getting crusty and rusty. That's after a nice packing with grease when they go together. So, you're still breaking them with the '03 sleeved swing arm?

I was just thinking of drilling in some zerks like Wistech has apparently done. How to keep that from pushing out the seals, though?

exotic rider

#9 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (NRath @ May 8 2013, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with you on this, I've replaced mine quite a few times over the years. Definitely seems to be a problem too often. However, since I went to an '03 swingarm, I haven't had any needles broken, just getting crusty and rusty. That's after a nice packing with grease when they go together. So, you're still breaking them with the '03 sleeved swing arm?

I was just thinking of drilling in some zerks like Wistech has apparently done. How to keep that from pushing out the seals, though?

ive looked at doing what atk did on their rotax bikes w the v frame,which is using two sealed bearings one each side,it will take a bit of research but the advantage is there sealed so they will last a lot longer,i changed the ones on my 1997 atk n they were still seemngly ok,no signs of being dry or rough spots.

m_mcgranahan

#10 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (NRath @ May 8 2013, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Nah, these are on the older style swing arms with the open back in the bearing bore.