RZ350 conversion

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
SlOoT

#1 Post by SlOoT »

I got a complete RZ350 engine here and a complete quad without engine. And was thinking about maybe making a hybrid.

What I have seen so far is that the rz350 engine is a bit longer that other 2-stroke engines, like cr250 or cr500.
The engine mounts will be easy to make, plenty room for the carb(s) so no need to modify rear shock mount.
Kickstart fits easy, so no need the cut frame there.

Only downside is that the frame pieces, were the radiator mounts to, have to be moved forward about 1 inch.
The cilinders are facing a bit more forward then other 2-stroke engines.

I think I will experiment a bit more and try to get the engine in the frame without cutting anything. And then I'll try to get some pictures.

ShifT714

#2 Post by ShifT714 »

That'll be sick! Keep us updated! I'm still tossing the idea of sticking a crf motor in a dale frame. i know its been done before!

promod

#3 Post by promod »

That yamy RZ engine has proved itself in time and went through many changes from its early beginning in the early '70's RD250/350/400cc Air-cooled version to the '80's RZ350/400cc and then to the Banshee quad 350cc motor version, with lots of performance potential to be had!, i bought a brand new 1984 RZ350 yellow/black Kenny Roberts replica and had a blast on it for about a year before i sold it and went Euro with a Ducati (Ducati was then just reserected by Cagiva) which really fit me more in my weird euro bike love!, but still as of today those twin 2-stroke cylinders with the right pipes make the hair on the back of my neck stand up....as they were screamers!, good luck with that project and hope you go through with it even though not saying this in a bad way i hate seeing the C'Dales chassis parted from there own engines with other motors put in them, i have seen some cool looking hybrids...and i think the RZ would be the coolest of all!, and to note i did install a canadian RZ400cc engine (which i liked because it was power valve equipt unlike its Banshee counterpart) in a Yamy YZ motorcycle motocross chassis for a guy back in the mid '90's and it was a beast on 2-wheels, and he still owns it today! wink.gif

SlOoT

#4 Post by SlOoT »

I put the engine in the KTM converted frame. Easy fit.

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

So its an air-cooled bike engine that became the Banshee engine?Please post pics of this build,love the Banshee engine,not the quad,handled awfully imo.

promod

#6 Post by promod »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Jul 3 2013, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So its an air-cooled bike engine that became the Banshee engine?

No, The engine SLOot is installing is the mid '80's Liquid-cooled 2-stroke, twin cylinder RZ350 cafe styled street bike engine, which that engine started life back in the '70's as a air-cooled version also a 2-stroke twin in a basic style street bike that was a RD model designation which came in several cc vesions RD250/350/400, The mid '80's RZ engine was a 350cc in the U.S., But offered in Canada and a few other countries also in 400cc version, The RZ engine was also equipt with a variable exhaust port system (big plus over the later Banshee engine!), after about 4 years in production run the RZ dissapeared from production and that same basic RZ engine in 350cc version but de-tuned and without the power-valve system was later shoved in a ATV chassis by Yamaha hence the Banshee was born!, but now that engine platform and quad are all part of Yamaha's history! wink.gif

And by the way SLOot thats going to be a cool unique hybrid...cant wait to see the completed project...keep us posted! cool.gif

Kuma

#7 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (promod @ Jul 4 2013, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, The engine SLOot is installing is the mid '80's Liquid-cooled 2-stroke, twin cylinder RZ350 cafe styled street bike engine, which that engine started life back in the '70's as a air-cooled version also a 2-stroke twin in a basic style street bike that was a RD model designation which came in several cc vesions RD250/350/400, The mid '80's RZ engine was a 350cc in the U.S., But offered in Canada and a few other countries also in 400cc version, The RZ engine was also equipt with a variable exhaust port system (big plus over the later Banshee engine!), after about 4 years in production run the RZ dissapeared from production and that same basic RZ engine in 350cc version but de-tuned and without the power-valve system was later shoved in a ATV chassis by Yamaha hence the Banshee was born!, but now that engine platform and quad are all part of Yamaha's history! wink.gif

And by the way SLOot thats going to be a cool unique hybrid...cant wait to see the completed project...keep us posted! cool.gif

I have a banshee that I converted to an RZ, cylinders, head and electrics, it worked out very well when my kids were little, it had a little more bottom end power because of the power valve setup, my ported banshee cylinders made more power though. I have heard but not confirmed that the RZ race guys like to put the banshee cylinders on because they can make more power and they can deal with a narrow power band.
The RZ also has different gearing, where the banshee's 1st thru 5th is close ratio and 6th is kinda a stretch, the RZ has a gap between 1st and 2nd and 2 thru 6 are close, at least that is how I remember it.
I still have the RZ stator/flywheel/cdi/ battery in, it has a great charging system, at one time, pre HID's I was running 230 watts of lights and they don't go dim when you let off the gas laugh.gif

Back on subject, keep us posted SLOot, should be interesting, is this going to go on the street or dirt? if street you could maybe do some low pipes? maybe custom nerf bars incorporating the pipes?

SlOoT

#8 Post by SlOoT »

If I am going to make this conversion I think it will become an MX setup.

I have always loved the sound and power of a banshee, but they handle like crap.
A banshee/RZ engine in a Dale will be a killer setup for MX I think.

SlOoT

#9 Post by SlOoT »

Another KILLER would be an EML Jumbo engine. It's a 800cc 2-stroke twin designed for sidecars, so loads of torque and 120HP.
They are made here in the netherlands.

speedracer

#10 Post by speedracer »

Holy moley,that engine would peel your eyelids back!