Bearing choices

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

ASSO is the factory OEM piston for the majority of the Cannondales. It is a 95mm piston (432cc) and will last as long or longer than anything out there. Wiseco did make our earliest pistons but see below for their issues. Price also makes this the best choice.

WWE used two different piston makers: Arias & CP. Both are good manufactures with decent products, BUT WWE weakened the design by doing his own machining to the pistons after they were produced. One mod included a drilled out piston pin (dangerous).

JE pistons makes a good product, EXCEPT for the custom built pistons they made for us Cannondale riders thru Special Order requests. These are junk. They do not last and will cause problems long term.

Wiseco made a couple piston designs for us (stock non-custom designs) The big bore 450 piston was a Wiseco design. They do not last but about 15 hours or less and the skirts start to shrink in and cause smoking and compression loss.

CP pistons in the custom designs pioneered by Timbo of this site are the preferred pistons for long time use and performance. They took all of the issues we had with previous designs and made us a well built piston.

Any custom piston kit will set you back $400 plus with the sleeve kit at todays prices. The ASSO piston kit with sleeve and all is just $150 from Black Widow or Dave. If you want to go large you have to pay. The leftovers you will find out there (WWE, Wiseco, JE) are just not worth the time and the money due to their issues.

You don't want to spend the extra money? I am positive I can find you a set of at least regular rings for that POS WWE piston kit. You will be back when it implodes. (see destruction thread for pics). laugh.gif

rayspeed

#12 Post by rayspeed »

I will backup all the advise you have gotten regarding pistons as I have had the exact same experiences. They make good power for about fifty ours and them come apart hurting heads, rods and cranks. Your money is much better spent with a $150 stock piston and non dimpled liner and take the money you saved and put it toward a good port job and it will last you hundreds of hours.

RickC

#13 Post by RickC »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Mar 8 2014, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will backup all the advise you have gotten regarding pistons as I have had the exact same experiences. They make good power for about fifty ours and them come apart hurting heads, rods and cranks. Your money is much better spent with a $150 stock piston and non dimpled liner and take the money you saved and put it toward a good port job and it will last you hundreds of hours.

Ok, ok!! I get it! tongue.gif The ASSO 432 kit is! My Z400 bearing is on its way in, and the head soon from porting. With any luck the rest of my shopping list (including the piston and liner!) will arrive within another week and I can start the assembly. Lots of thanks to all who chimed in with great advice and ideas. I'll be reporting back as soon as I have the engine together or if I run into any problems dry.gif

RickC

exotic rider

#14 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (RickC @ Mar 9 2014, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, ok!! I get it! tongue.gif The ASSO 432 kit is! My Z400 bearing is on its way in, and the head soon from porting. With any luck the rest of my shopping list (including the piston and liner!) will arrive within another week and I can start the assembly. Lots of thanks to all who chimed in with great advice and ideas. I'll be reporting back as soon as I have the engine together or if I run into any problems dry.gif

RickC

You wont be disappointed,this is one of the best bikes ive owned,the acceleration is flawless- the power awesome and suspension top notch,plus its an eyevcatcher :-)

RickC

#15 Post by RickC »

Head is gone and getting ported/cleaned up, but I'm having trouble locating someone willing to swap out the con rod bearing. Two local shops have said no (they do all our Jap engine machining, but they ran when I said Cannondale!!) and I have reservations about sending it out of town.
Anyone have suggestions on who could help in NC?

Rick

exotic rider

#16 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (RickC @ Mar 26 2014, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Head is gone and getting ported/cleaned up, but I'm having trouble locating someone willing to swap out the con rod bearing. Two local shops have said no (they do all our Jap engine machining, but they ran when I said Cannondale!!) and I have reservations about sending it out of town.
Anyone have suggestions on who could help in NC?

Rick

As I understand its the same plate (for alignment) as honda fourstrokes(crf) not sure why such a issue?

RickC

#17 Post by RickC »

Hmm, didn't know that. One shop had it for a few days and gave up, another said 'no' at the door...

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

Tim Matczak ( site owner) can do cranks and my local shop does them. Both are perfectionists and your crank will be true. PM me for details. Dale cranks do not need any special plates or fixtures to rebuild other than someone with skills and a live center.

RickC

#19 Post by RickC »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 28 2014, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tim Matczak ( site owner) can do cranks and my local shop does them. Both are perfectionists and your crank will be true. PM me for details. Dale cranks do not need any special plates or fixtures to rebuild other than someone with skills and a live center.

PM sent

Rally2

#20 Post by Rally2 »

Any update?