Blowing White smoke

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
flyinarmbar

#1 Post by flyinarmbar »

Hello all, I recently got back from a riding trip and after a 3 hr trip, I piggybacked 3 quads with my 02 speed in the bed of my pickup almost standing upright. Since I've been home, it hydro locked. So I pulled the plug and cranked it over to clear the oil. Every time since, the quad starts up and blows white smoke, especially giving throttle. It will also sprinkle oil on my fence from the exhaust. I only have about an hr and a half total riding time on the motor since a Timbo crank, port, polish job. I've heard of debris in the frame allowing the oil to seep into piston. What do u guys think? And how do I clear it? I appreciate any help. Thanks

yamadjs08

#2 Post by yamadjs08 »

How long have you ran it since you've cleared the cylinder out?

You would be surprised how long it takes to burn all the oil out of the exhaust.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

Blue-ish white smoke is oil, and that should completely burn off from your exhaust within 20 minutes, if run hot enough.
White only smoke is coolant (hopefully not!), as you would have some work to do -- first thing would be to not run it until fixed.

flyinarmbar

#4 Post by flyinarmbar »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Nov 14 2014, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blue-ish white smoke is oil, and that should completely burn off from your exhaust within 20 minutes, if run hot enough.
White only smoke is coolant (hopefully not!), as you would have some work to do -- first thing would be to not run it until fixed.

I changed the magnesium cover years ago. Could it have been running too hot? I never overheated it.
I also ran it for about 10 minutes one day then 10 minutes another day. I just didn't want to damage anything
If I run it it smokes then once I take it on the road and give it some throttle, it dumps smoke like a two stroke.
Should I run it some more? Or is the oil seeping into the sleeve because of debris keeping it open.

flyinarmbar

#5 Post by flyinarmbar »

QUOTE (flyinarmbar @ Nov 14 2014, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I changed the magnesium cover years ago. Could it have been running too hot? I never overheated it.
I also ran it for about 10 minutes one day then 10 minutes another day. I just didn't want to damage anything
If I run it it smokes then once I take it on the road and give it some throttle, it dumps smoke like a two stroke.
Should I run it some more? Or is the oil seeping into the sleeve because of debris keeping it open.

I read on here once that sometimes you can clear the debris that causes the seeping by changing the oil?

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

if puffing white smoke? not bluish-white? then you likely have a cracked sleeve.
if indeed burning oil?.. and is still burning oil long after a hydrolock?.. then something is probably wrong in the head or with the rings.

A drain of the sump oil would probably show milky by now, if it is burning any water-based coolant... like from a cracked sleeve.
Is the coolant level in the bottle dropping?

But if you determine or strongly suspect it is burning oil?... then a drain-fill with an additive like CD-2 (yellow bottle) .. just MIGHT correct it -- I got lucky one time by using that stuff... those additives are just for subtle problems like a sticky-leaking stem seal, and usually do not solve the problem.. just easier than dropping a motor yet.

flyinarmbar

#7 Post by flyinarmbar »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Nov 14 2014, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if puffing white smoke? not bluish-white? then you likely have a cracked sleeve.
if indeed burning oil?.. and is still burning oil long after a hydrolock?.. then something is probably wrong in the head or with the rings.

A drain of the sump oil would probably show milky by now, if it is burning any water-based coolant... like from a cracked sleeve.
Is the coolant level in the bottle dropping?

But if you determine or strongly suspect it is burning oil?... then a drain-fill with an additive like CD-2 (yellow bottle) .. just MIGHT correct it -- I got lucky one time by using that stuff... those additives are just for subtle problems like a sticky-leaking stem seal, and usually do not solve the problem.. just easier than dropping a motor yet.

flyinarmbar

#8 Post by flyinarmbar »

Thank you so much for the options boomer! I'll drain the sump and see if it's milky. Hopefully not. Then I'll buy the oil additive you mentioned and do a drain-fill. Should I blow compressed air in the empty frame?

SlOoT

#9 Post by SlOoT »

I have had this several times. You can clearly smell it if it's oil.
Just ride it hard for 15 minutes, if it's still smoking hard after that then you have a problem.

flyinarmbar

#10 Post by flyinarmbar »

QUOTE (SlOoT @ Nov 15 2014, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have had this several times. You can clearly smell it if it's oil.
Just ride it hard for 15 minutes, if it's still smoking hard after that then you have a problem.

It's definitely oil because I have to wipe down the PVC fence after I run it by the garage. Oil is spitting out of the exhaust. Piston was just done back to stock. Have an hr of total riding time on it. It ran great for a couple of rides then i loaded it in the truck piggybacking the cab. When I got home it hydrolocked. I cleared it. I'll start it up and run it for about 15 mins. If it doesn't clear up then like boomer said it's probably rings. I thought rings were wear and tear on a piston over some time. What would cause rings to fail so soon?