Giving pistons a go.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

I will be testing out some new pistons I had made since the ones I use the most (98mm)are very hard to come by. I have some custom wrist pins on the way so hopefully I can have an engine running in the next week. These were designed taking into consideration available forgings, the best traits of the ASSO, CP and wiseco designs. The one in the center is the result. I kept the single compression ring but with the abilty to do it in gapless . Skirts were bigger for longer life. The forging is an x support design like the cp and asso . The supports webs go from corner of the skirt to the center of the pin bosses unlike the WWE piston on the right which go to the outside edge for less wrist pin flex. I think maybe there is to much metal in the pin area which could be lightened up.
I kinda miss the good ole days of R&D and I have not done much since getting the rods redesigned so here we go for more possible win or fail.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

The only piston I dont have to compare is a JE but some of you will be able to tell which is which.

ScramblerXLE

#3 Post by ScramblerXLE »

Looks good John! Keep us posted!

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Will do. I also need to get some liners made. Ive been leaning towards steel as it can be precision bored for each piston instead of a generic size which leads to variances. Unfinshed bores can be had for much less money and less is needed for stock as one sleeve will be good for all piston kits. My local shop has been deadly with match boring .

polyesterpig

#5 Post by polyesterpig »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Nov 24 2014, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will do. I also need to get some liners made. Ive been leaning towards steel as it can be precision bored for each piston instead of a generic size which leads to variances. Unfinshed bores can be had for much less money and less is needed for stock as one sleeve will be good for all piston kits. My local shop has been deadly with match boring .

Also, gapless rings tend to work better with steel sleeves!

dunnbandit1

#6 Post by dunnbandit1 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Nov 23 2014, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only piston I dont have to compare is a JE but some of you will be able to tell which is which.

I have an old je piston I could send you if you want it
It has a shorter skirt than the Wisco I put in and has oil holes going to the wrist pin which the Wisco does not have

[attachment=13289:JE_Piston.jpg]

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (dunnbandit1 @ Nov 27 2014, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have an old je piston I could send you if you want it
It has a shorter skirt than the Wisco I put in and has oil holes going to the wrist pin which the Wisco does not have
I tried to post pics but it said file size is to big to upload

Send it to me Jason, I will load the pic.

krdeal at bellsouth dot net

who_gives_a6

#8 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Any updates on these out of curiosity?

yamadjs08

#9 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Jan 30 2015, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any updates on these out of curiosity?

I am curious as well.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

The trails are still closed for quads.,its 0 degrees with high winds today ,kind of a bummer of a winter. On the bright side I have purchased a ton of new head porting tools and have been able to get some of those ready for summer. Ive also been working on getting new affordable sleeves, nitrided/dlc cam buckets and valves springs that dont bag out after a week. I see the camshaft supply is dwindleing again so another run of those will have to be made before the year is out. Just need to win the lottery to pay for all this . rolleyes.gif I do have some stock and Cp piston kits on the shelf for the time being until the testing is done on the new pistons so Im not panicking yet.