Doing updates and going through the enine.

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
coreyg589

#1 Post by coreyg589 »

Okay so this is the first time i've ever worked on a cannondale so i'm sure i'll need a little help and advice but basically the guy i got the Speed off of stated that he had gotten from a friend about eight years ago and his son didnt ride it much but he just blew out the clutch about 4 months ago and the starter motor went on it I just brought the engine inside and got the clutch side case off it and i need to know if the cams are good and if their is anything i should do while i have it apart that im missing. I plan on loctiting the bolts (I have the stud update print out) checking the crankshaft for play, checking the piston, lining up the cams and swapping out the clutch if theirs anything else please let me know it would be appreciated.

coreyg589

#2 Post by coreyg589 »

Are the cam lobes to worn out?

coreyg589

#3 Post by coreyg589 »

Other side

coreyg589

#4 Post by coreyg589 »

cams

coreyg589

#5 Post by coreyg589 »

It has a plastic impeller it looks brand new in person looks bad in the pic

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

For a standard 10/9 clutch plate pack,.... that is a full 1/8" thinner as compared to a new set of plates. LOTS of wear,
and plates were even previously rotated -- and looks like a few may have been replaced before.
Appears to be a potential clutch-slipping mess,
with some friction tangs ready to break off... It's good that you opened it up!.

coreyg589

#7 Post by coreyg589 »

Yea im glad I did I laughed a little when I opened it up i've never seen clutch plates that bad.

MX Quad Dad

#8 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Cams don't look good to me.

Oter items to consider/must do, sticky bucket check, decompression rebuild, complete valve job including spring check, If you send the head out to someone here I would recommend at least mild porting by one of the gurus. also wiestech has a pretty good post on here somewhere on checking the oneway bearing (because it is a complete teardown if it goes). I'm also thinking if I had the crank out I would have a new Z bearing installed, but I guess it depends how much you trust the guy you got it from.

by lining up the cams, do you mean degreing them? marks don't line up at every TDC.

If you had any metal in the oil filter I would recommend flushing the frame. I do mine even though I haven't had metal in the filter

Oh yeah, I believe there is a gear in the trany that maybe could use a little grinding

coreyg589

#9 Post by coreyg589 »

Okay thanks mx quad dad i appreciate all the info.

coreyg589

#10 Post by coreyg589 »

just got the head off today and I was very happy with what i saw the piston and valves looked very good to me at least not sure what the experts would say lol