Coolant weep hole leak

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
riverat1540

#1 Post by riverat1540 »

When I rebuilt the engine last I reused the shaft seals for the waterpump. The outer one started leaking as soon as the system started building pressure. Today I pulled the seal with motor in quad and replaced it. However when driving the seal in it took off some of the edge of the seal before it seated. Of course it leaks again and I'm hoping to give it another go as I have another new seal left. Can anyone give me any tips on getting this installed without pulling the motor so I can be leak free? I used some rtv gray sealent from permatex but I think it is too thick for this situation. I am also thinking of greasing it instead of silicoln. Any thoughts? Has anyone successfully changed this seal without pulling the motor?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep can be done.. I have used grease only.. to bore, plus a shine of dielectric on the seal OD and skimmed between the shaft lips.

riverat1540

#3 Post by riverat1540 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Sep 22 2015, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep can be done.. I have used grease only.. to bore, plus a shine of dielectric on the seal OD and skimmed between the shaft lips.

Got it today sometimes you just have to walk away and count to three. Put about two hours on it no leaks

riverat1540

#4 Post by riverat1540 »

Well to follow up I put another hour on the quad today with some aggressive riding and its dribbling again. I'm just going to pull the motor and try it that way because everytime I press a seal in it rips the lip on the inner edge. Hopefully forth time is a charm wacko.gif