exhaust temperature

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
showoff588

#1 Post by showoff588 »

OK, So im finally at the point that its time to do a little testing to see how this quad ive been building is goin to act. As im just letting it warm up, checking the cooland, oil flow ect. carefully watching everything with a temp gun. I noticed the exhaust getting really hot, quick. to the point that it glows. 600-700 degrees f. and gets hotter as i increase throttle. it does have titanium header wrap on the head pipe. Im not sure if this is normal or not, i never really paid much attention to this on my previous bikes but now that this is my first cannondale, i pay extra attention to it and have a load of time and money into it. Maybe im just being paranoid but im just so afraid of something going wrong. I know there are some super intelligent cannondalers here so hopefully someone here can tell me what is what.

And ive been meaning to get some pics up, here are a few. before ....
[attachment=13761:20151109_144550.jpg]

showoff588

#2 Post by showoff588 »

QUOTE (showoff588 @ Apr 9 2016, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, So im finally at the point that its time to do a little testing to see how this quad ive been building is goin to act. As im just letting it warm up, checking the cooland, oil flow ect. carefully watching everything with a temp gun. I noticed the exhaust getting really hot, quick. to the point that it glows. 600-700 degrees f. and gets hotter as i increase throttle. it does have titanium header wrap on the head pipe. Im not sure if this is normal or not, i never really paid much attention to this on my previous bikes but now that this is my first cannondale, i pay extra attention to it and have a load of time and money into it. Maybe im just being paranoid but im just so afraid of something going wrong. I know there are some super intelligent cannondalers here so hopefully someone here can tell me what is what.

And ive been meaning to get some pics up, here are a few. before ....
[attachment=13761:20151109_144550.jpg]

After...[attachment=13762:20160331_200114.jpg]

showoff588

#3 Post by showoff588 »

QUOTE (showoff588 @ Apr 9 2016, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After...[attachment=13762:20160331_200114.jpg]

cannonman

#4 Post by cannonman »

Headrr glowing is normal, especially for the titanium header. Mine glows about quarter of the way back. Good lookin bike by the way

bigfoot17

#5 Post by bigfoot17 »

My bikes glow ,too. And my temps run about the same as yours.
I am not an expert,but I have been told this is normal.

showoff588

#6 Post by showoff588 »

Thanks.. yeh I also talked to a very known, trusted bike mechanic who also said this is normal. Appreciate the help

POWER MAD MAN

#7 Post by POWER MAD MAN »

I never really had my ti pipe glow. I see yfz's and ltr pipes glow but not really on cannondales i would say your probably running a little lean.

Catmochanic

#8 Post by Catmochanic »

I recommend taking it to Timbo's and having it dynoed!
It might cost a few dollars...but reassurance, piece of mind (and badassness) was worth it to me!
He is a great mastermind of Cannondale's and really knows his stuff on how engines work.
He's only a State away from you.

showoff588

#9 Post by showoff588 »

i have considered checking out timbo, i havent had the opportunity to work with him. i hear many good things about the guy but i also hear that he is very hard to get in contact with. i would definately take a ride over there to check him out but i just need to be 100% ready if i do. this is a brand new build and im sure some kind of bug will pop up.. just like building cars, theres always more to do or something to be tweeked or adjusted. plus for now i have 2 maps for it already that came with the motor. i do some tuning myself on my car and would like to tinker with the dale but i still dont have a dm kit.

Catmochanic

#10 Post by Catmochanic »

I was in the same "boat" as you are...I had mine all together but I didn't want to run it too hard for fear of doing damage to the motor. Luckily I was able to make it to a group ride at Majestic Trails (almost 2years after mine was together), and that is where I was fortunate enough to meet Timbo and have mine dynoed. Mine was pretty close already but he was able to go in and touch up the air-fuel ratio in a couple of areas using his software (dealer pro-cal). I am not sure the best way to get a hold of him...maybe somebody else can chime in with an answer to that? I know others on here have installed air-fuel ratio sensors in there exhaust to monitor their engines performance. You definitely need to make it to a group ride, they are a blast to meet up with others, and you learn a wealth of knowledge!