Quest for the perfect pod filter

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Its been well over ten years since I dynoed the first cyclone on a record setting 55 horse engine. I do miss the horsepower wars. I got the general profile dimensions for the pod filter from Ed Casar at Dunrite Performance and Kinney Racing let me go through their filter rack to find a filter that would fit under the Dale plastic. I called Tim and he did some midnight prototyping and shipped me the first one which I recieved just hours before going to the dyno. This all happened in the span of a couple of days. Since then the design of the cyclone was so good it really didn't call for a change. The biggest issue has always been building enough of them to meet demand.
Well as time progressed the supply of good rubber to use as the base of the cyclone has been diminished. I was never a fan of just plain unreinforced rubber to hold the filter assembly on anyway. There was also the issue that the filter was just a smidge tall and was touching the underside of the tank cover.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Here are a couple of the filter kits I've built over the years. The one on the left was made for heavy water / mud use. The size of the funnel was reduced so it did not touch the walls of the filter. If you blasted through a deep water hole at speed the water would penetrate the media but wash down below the rim of the horn and not go into the engine. I also lowered the height of the cyclone to make room for a taller filter with a wider base. I never had the courage to test it out because the penalty for failure would be a lunched engine. It's better just to ride smart and not blast through the deep holes. wink.gif
The filter on the right was to see how lightweight a cyclone could be made. Lots of drilling and cutting on the lathe resulted in a very lightweight piece.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

A while back Tim was desparate for cyclones and couldn't get them made cost effect anymore. I had a local machine shop make a batch and while they were at it I changed the design. I had the inside diameter opened up to the max size that a throttle body can be bored safely and the profile modified to the new diameter. The filter is still the same. Now when I got this last batch in I decided to go one step further and machined the inside of the horn so the old velocity stack bases no longer need to be used. Now a strong reinforced hose will fit between the horn and the throttle body. The clamp down in the base is a heat shrink hose clamp but a narrow worm gear type will also fit but it it doesn't look as cool.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Now this design along with using a reinforced straight hose on the throttle body to head connection drops the filter down a quarter inch eliminating any contact of the filter to tank cover.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

I have not checked but I think that most older cyclones could also be converted to eliminate the weak rubber flange system as well. I don't have any old cyclones to inspect. So maybe in the future I will offer it as an upgrade if it's possible.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Here is the big bore cyclone compared to the tiny stock intake. The metal sleeve that was in the throttle body will slip right through.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Here is what it looks like in a stock throttle body that has just had the sleeve removed. The black rubber part is no longer there making it closer to the throttle body. The second pic is the old style. I would go so far as to say this new setup will increase top end power but generally the shorter you can make the intake the more it will gain. A quarter inch is a quarter inch. I'll send one to Tim soon for testing.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

One further trick I added when I had these made was to have the final cut a rough one so as to help with boundry layer air flow just like we do in the intake tract of the ported heads.

JJNelson

#9 Post by JJNelson »

Nice John,

Just thought I would share this with you. I'm thinking about trying this on my Dale when its done. The throttle position sensor is where all the cables come together and would use stock injectors placement. I can get it in a 44mm bored to 48mm with large bell.

Jamie

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Ive used lectorn carbs in the past . They worked good but had a few annoying traits. One which might be a drawback on a dale is the slide and cable part sticks up so high. On a dale it might be hitting the valve cover. They dont have much info on the efi setup on the web site. Without a throttle plate a half horse or more might be able to be gained.