Making some new plastic

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

I had a try at making some new plastic parts . I was thinking about going with carbon fiber but everything Ive ever seen in carbon fiber ends up looking like crap after a few rides so Im going the plastic route. I made this delete today out of some black plastic I had laying around. There is quite the learning curve to making molds and forming this devil material. Im looking to do some fun colors and different designs of deletes and side spars. By the way the white front is the unicorn that made it out of the cycra plant while doing a color change. It is not painted.

bigfoot17

#2 Post by bigfoot17 »

That looks great , John. How about a picture of the mold. I'm curious how you made it.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I made a plug for the right side delete. This was made from white low density foam board. Its not as flexable as the stock plastic . It didnt get heated up enough for the front screw hole to form perfect so its a learning piece.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

here is what it looks like sucked onto the plug I cast.

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

Nice job,they look like factory made.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Thanks guys . I whipped up a mold for the fx400 mini fenders. Turned out great. I think Im starting to get a system down here. I just got some lexan in and will give some colors a try . Bullet proof deletes would be cool.

bigfoot17

#7 Post by bigfoot17 »

Great work, John. What can't you do?

seaflight staci

#8 Post by seaflight staci »

Nice

POWER MAD MAN

#9 Post by POWER MAD MAN »

Looks good

ScramblerXLE

#10 Post by ScramblerXLE »

Looks great John! I've been thinking about doing this kind of thing too for the full bodywork if and when plastic becomes a real issue some day...