Its time for crank updates

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
HouserCannondale

#171 Post by HouserCannondale »

That rod kit is indeed for a 300ex, and the hole is what lubricates one of the crank bearings. Nothin special. :cool:

cannondale27

#172 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey that makes sense.We were thinking it was to let the sludge out that builds up inside the cranks.

wistech

#173 Post by wistech »

3 more weeks and it will be the 2 year anniversary of the z bearing . That was the goal. 2 years life and a fully serviceble crank and rod. I think we will make it.

2000ex

#174 Post by 2000ex »

Congrats guys biggrin.gif If the R&D team did not come up with this solution, who knows how many more dales would be sitting out there being parted sad.gif Thanks guys for keeping them alive

wistech

#175 Post by wistech »

Way to go R@D guys. biggrin.gif
Sara really likes our prototypes.

wistech

#176 Post by wistech »

I bought 6 engines this year and for the most part was lucking out for damage. Most had loose crank plates and small issues that they parted the quads out with very few hours on them. But the last few engines did have the inevitable siezed cranks.
This one here I was confident the crank was good going to be good in . What a surprise .The cyllinder was perfect with not a scratch. I pulled the sleeve out and I could see the piston skirts were full of debris . mad.gif After popping the crank apart What do you know . This must be the absolute last minutes before the destruction.The cage was mostly in tact but breakin into pieces. None of the big chunks worked their way out to trash the sleeve and the case just had sludge in the bottom. The filter housing did have the telltale signs of small metal flakes in the bottom.

wistech

#177 Post by wistech »

The last 2 I aquired were 03 motors that were production numbered just 9 away from each other. One was a bike engine and the other a quad. The bike had an fx400 intake and 03 exhaust cam. The quad had a 03 intake and fx400 exhaust. All the cams were perfect. One had a partial factory stud update kit . Just the top crank bolts were studs. All but 2 of the remaining allen bolts had locktite on them and of course those 2 were 3 turns out. You could tell they loosened up right away as the plate had no signs of rubbing against the block. The piston pin access covers screws were also 4 turns out with no locktite . It must have been dumping coolant and engine oil into the tranny. Its just sad when I take an engine apart and some of the bolts need some good force to crack loose and others are finger tight.

wistech

#178 Post by wistech »

Well we all knew this day would come . Tim has had one and this is my first z400 bearing failure. Both strokers built 4 to 5 years ago. This one has been through several race seasons and 3 owners. The cage has completley come apart but the rollers were all there and still rolling. There is no sign of the ripsaw effect and had it been taken apart at a normal 2 to 3 year interval and the bearing changed out I am positive it would still be going . There really is no wear on the crank or rod other than the damage caused by the cage scraping the snot out of it. The dreaded bearing issue has been resolved and now we have a normal wear and tear crank system. Thumbs up to Timbomoose .

2000ex

#179 Post by 2000ex »

Timbo has helped to keep these machines alive for all of us and I honestly dont think he gets the credit he deserves. He is one of the most down to earth, good guys you will find and will do anything for you...not to mention he surely is a master craftsman when it comes to machine work.

wanablaze

#180 Post by wanablaze »

+1. Just found myself looking for the "like" button. :-( But seriously, Tim has really gone out of his way for a bunch of us and has my respect for all the tlc and r&d he puts into these things. Thanks Tim, I would have sold mine years