Its time for crank updates

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#191 Post by cannondale27 »

Thanks.See what I mean.Looks better than Wistechs but it is out of spec. cant go by looks you need to measure this either with rod sideplay or if crank is split measure it with proper instruments.

Happyboy

#192 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Nov 15 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actuall I had 2 go through. This one was 3-4 years ago and last year I used up another life riding the speed on about an inch of ice. I dropped it in a river channel where it was 7 feet deep. Had the quad not had the studded tires I would have bought it for sure. The quad went to the bottom with the rear end up . I was able to stand on one rear tire and the grab bar to help get a whale flop onto the ice and belly crawl at a hyper quick pace to the land . Had I not been able to get out myself nobody was coming out on that thin of ice to help without breaking through. The speed spent 6 hours under water before we came back with a boat to fish it out . .......I have pics. wink.gif
I kept it quiet for a while since its a big fine to litter the lake with vehicles.
By the way after draining many gallons of water out of the Speeds engine ,fuel system and frame the dang thing started right up on the first prime like nothing had happened. It did ruin the tps though as water in it cracked the plastic when it froze . The dobeck and 500ecu still worked fine.

ohmy.gif Holy sh!t. Pictures!!

UpsMan

#193 Post by UpsMan »

Almost everyone I know that rides on the ice has broken through at least once. Thats why I don't do it, except when I see trucks out there. I don't need a swim in January.

cannondale27

#194 Post by cannondale27 »

Heck enough beer and a good cause and you can make $ doing it!
http://www.specialolympicswisconsin.org/polar_plunge.asp

wistech

#195 Post by wistech »

Back in the 3 wheeler days we used to run the shallow rivers (less than one or two feet deep) all winter. Jumping beaver dams is a blast. Many many times you had to drive right through the really shallow open water because it was open year round . I bet my 185s spent more time in water than above it. The last few times we are hitting the big rivers and lakes which are much less forgiveing.

wistech

#196 Post by wistech »

Some may remember the christmas crank fairy game of 2004 where Tim and I had a stroker as the prize. Here she is . 2 years ago the big main bearing started to chip away and made all sorts of noise. I wanted to tear the crank down then but the owner just wanted it patched up . Since then it has been sold again to someone else and is now in the process of its first actual over haul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbsTphvslLw

The cage is very worn and razor sharp on the edges. The pin is good , the rod does have some wear and i would call it iffy for longevity but I think it would run again with a new bearing.

wistech

#197 Post by wistech »

Here is a couple I got in yesterday. The H beam had some hours on it and was ripsawed but the forged one Im sure just had a few tanks of gas through it because you can see from the coating still on the bearing cage its not even worn off. The pin also had zero sludge inside.

wistech

#198 Post by wistech »

Without pressing this one apart I could tell something was not right . It spun nice and free without and roughness but I could feel a tad of radial play . Any is to much . Look at the heat buildup on the rod . Im thinking main bearing went out and put some side loads on the rod to heat it up . I have no history on this crank but its an ATK welded plug one that was updated at one time. The rod journal is not trashed but it does have microscopic pits so i would recommend a new pin as well. .

speed 450mx

#199 Post by speed 450mx »

It had three years of racing on it. I don't remember where I got the crank but it was not from ATK I have only got cranks from Tim, Brad, and Dave so I am not sure who originally built it. That crank was probably from about 2005 at least maybe earlier. The one thing I remember about the motor it came out of was that it suck in a lot of water, that's why it got pulled plus at that point it was 3 years old at that point mad that was at least two years ago. Thanks for the pics that's interesting on how bad it was.

wistech

#200 Post by wistech »

So it had a water event. By chance did this engine have a magnetic sight glass or pellet in the oil inlet . If so were there any signs of metallic fur/sludge during its life? This one wouldnt have made chips . What type of oil was used? Paper ,mesh or scotts filter? We have very little data on z cranks.
Thanks