Its time for crank updates

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#21 Post by wistech »

Its all Tim. You sir are the steely eyed machine man.

cannibalq8

#22 Post by cannibalq8 »

im intend to send my engine this week to Wade. my engine is locked also sad.gif ( engine locked .. wristpin snapped ... the piston smashed the head and bent the valves )

any way to fix my old cranl ( 02 crank ) and get z400 bearing on it guys?!!

or should i get new ATK crank and get the z400 bearing on it ?

thanks

Mjollnir

#23 Post by Mjollnir »

q8, you're sending it to Wade? sad.gif OK, if you say so...

Wis and 27...

Sorry, I'm a little dense...

So, if I take apart my early 03 and late 02 motors, get the crank pressed apart, install this bearing, that's it? They both run great.

Should I have the cranks balanced at the same time? What else should ideally be done???

Sorry for the repeat questions, I just want to be sure...

Thanks,
Marc

wistech

#24 Post by wistech »

I think Tim can fill in the details but basically yes. I have never seen anyone take cranks apart until it was destroyed but looking at mine its so dang obvious the stock bearing is not fit for duty. After closer inspection of my bearing it looks like it has a soft metal coating but its long gone on the outside edge.
I guess weather or not to do this procedure depends on the age of the engine.This one Has around 150 hours on it . I think the rod is worn to far and should also get replaced. If I had a low mileage engine(under 50 hours) then it might be just a bearing only. I just wish I would have know this a year ago .

bknight

#25 Post by bknight »

well 27 open the door smile.gif
tim got my crank now. should be here in 2 weeks with luck.
and thank you tim and wistech and 27

Jaybr

#26 Post by Jaybr »

Good work guys, like I've said before the more options we have the better.

I've got an 02 billet crank here with about 4 hours on it, if anyone needs one make me an offer.

comander420

#27 Post by comander420 »

heu Q8, didn't wade do the work on it last time when the wrist pin snapped? Unless he is giving you some kind of deal for installing such a crappy wrist pin, I would think twice about sending it to him. Some people that live in the US are having problems getting their engines back from him, and their money. Living half way across the world might even make it harder for you if somehing were to happen. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but just make sure that he is going to get it done right and in a timely matter!

Also I would like to say a big thank you to Timbomoose for letting this secret out to the dale public, A lot of people are only interested in dales so they can make a buck off their problems, but you sir are obviously way above that, it seems to me that you are interested in helping all of us owners keep our machines alive and for that I say thank you.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :head:

claas900

#28 Post by claas900 »

..Hey thanks guys..its funny tho,cuz last night i went to bed thinking did all thos cranks go bad over a 38$ part..lol...if so,its so funny yet so sad..lol...All thos 600$ cranks,for a 38$ bearing..lol..Man..I went to bed thinking about this and woke up thinking about it also..Sceams like if someone still has a good crank they could get it fixed for 200$ or even less..lol...Funny..

Mjollnir

#29 Post by Mjollnir »

OK, followup question. I turn a wrench pretty good - I did the Stage 8 no problem, and I've built car engines.

1. How much further does the engine need to be disassembled beyond the Stage 8?

2. What special tools will I need, where can I get them, and do you have part numbers?

Sounds like a winter project to me. I'll have 2 mos. of down time this fall/winter, I think that should be enough to get both engines done.

Thanks!
Marc

wistech

#30 Post by wistech »

Special tools-flywheel puller,inch pound torque wrench.
If your doing the stage 8 you half way there. For me I think this engine is easiest engine to work on because I dont have to deal with splitting cases,scraping gaskets,camshafts and transmision.This engine is built a little different but its not any more difficult than any thing else. I think many have the impression that these engines can only be worked on by white coat lab technicians with engineering degrees but its simply untrue. If the cannondale engine manual is printed out and right there you will be ok.