Its time for crank updates

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
wistech

#41 Post by wistech »

It is just like any other crank.The 2 piece design isnt even rare,my local shop had a about a dozen of them from other manufacturers.The bearing is an artic cat # 3402-908 I recomend an experienced crank shop to reassemble and align the webs. with dial indicator off of the main bearing journals. If Tim doesnt have time I can do a full pictorial procedure when I do mine.

NRath

#42 Post by NRath »

Yo' Fox- your sig nailed it- The truth is out there somewhere! That's kind of appropriate, ehh?!!!

bknight

#43 Post by bknight »

looks good tim
will or can you do stroker crank later on biggrin.gif for us wink.gif

wistech

#44 Post by wistech »

So who's all in the first run of this procedure. I think we should keep a log of how the new rods and bearings hold up. For me one is getting an new rod and bearing ,one is getting a new rod,bearing and made into a 3 piece with the z400 pin. The third might just be a new bearing with old rod and pin. I will start logbooks for all to get some data on which ones run the best.

bknight

#45 Post by bknight »

i think im in the first run
new rod and bearing and milled to 02

ANIMALSCANNIBAL

#46 Post by ANIMALSCANNIBAL »

I'm on the maiden voyage.:head:
M / circle / square, rod
M / circle / square, 2 mm stroker crank pin
jap bearing, found by the amazing: M / circle / square, man:bow:

dalewannbe

#47 Post by dalewannbe »

M / circle / square, rod

I think I need a translation. But keep us posted on the results.

Jaybr

#48 Post by Jaybr »

Just out of curiosity, when one of you has the crank apart, and removes the pin to repair, weight the 2 halves for me.

I'd really like to know how far out of balance they are.:deal:

wistech

#49 Post by wistech »

Will do.

cannondale27

#50 Post by cannondale27 »

Best bet if you want to see the weights of the crank halves would be to weigh them with the flywheel on and also to add the force of the timing chain tensioner and force needed to rotate the cams because all of those things have to be taken into account.
What I am trying to say here is that even if both crank halves were exactly the same weight the crank would still be unbalanced.It is quite obvious both halves are quite different weights.It is also obvious that there are other forces involved here which is the reason there are two different sized bearings supporting our cranks.