Its time for crank updates

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
dalewannbe

#141 Post by dalewannbe »

We need to plan a real test session maybe when the Ice is good if we could get 12 guys we could schedule times for each to ride and do a 12 hour run of our own.

I would be up for that!...............keep me posted.

cannondale27

#142 Post by cannondale27 »

You bet.I am probably going to redo my decompression and get better valves/springs in before that though.

wistech

#143 Post by wistech »

Steve ,Ive got all the parts to repair the decompression mechanism. Pins ,pivots,screws. We will have to whip up some more wieghts though. Any contributor to making Dales/ ATK what we all visioned them to be is a member of the R&D team.:clap:

Happyboy

#144 Post by Happyboy »

Guy up in bentonville had his decompression mech spring removed and says it will start without it. I am sure it is harder on the starter to do this but it will work. Removing the spring would be the same as removing it completely.

wistech

#145 Post by wistech »

Did he pull the wieghts off to? I dont know if that would work up here with cold starts at 10 degrees.

Happyboy

#146 Post by Happyboy »

I honestly have no idea what all was done to it. There are some guys in Missouri that did the work and this was the first Dale they had worked on. Lol, they didn't tell Ben that before they worked on it though.

bombsquad54

starting

#147 Post by bombsquad54 »

my cdale starts really well without the spring. no trouble, in fact i think it starts better. happyboy i might come on down tomorrow with the whole bike, cause i wont have time to drop the motor before this weekend. i think i have the nightmare dale of the month! haydug says he will sell me a motor for 2400.00 with everything done to it, but i dont know what to do.

cannondale27

#148 Post by cannondale27 »

Is it just the spring removed or the whole mechanism?The decompression would still work with spring out but it would return to neutral position sooner.

wistech

#149 Post by wistech »

I am now finnally sporting a Timborod . Oops ,that sounds dirty.ohmy.gif

bknight

Re: bike

#150 Post by bknight »

Originally posted by bknight
Well everyone I got the motor put in the bike. I finnally got it to start took long enough smoke a flying out of the exhaust but it finally cleared out. The first thing I noticed is the quieter motor noise smile.gif.

Today I took it for a hour or so ride at the dunes, it was cold and windy and alittle misty. I got the flag on went to start it, it took about 4 stabs with the starter button, I let it warm up, I stabbed it in gear went to take off it stalled and refused to start for awhile, I say a good 3 mins, then it started.

Performance- I noticed alot of power increase with top end on my 2mm stroker. The power delivery was smoothe, not hard hitting the way it was before, credit goes to a change in the mapping.

All in all I belive this z400 bearing is the way to go, with timbos crank,rod and pin. So far 3 hours of use not problems yet.
thanks again timbo

*UPDATE*

Me being a backyard mechanic, and not a good one at that, I had a bad sleeve with metal in the oil, I was going to drop the motor anyways due to lots of metal flakes. So I contacted tim to find out what I should do, so I got a new sleeve from him, and new side cover gasket from Blackwidow Atv , good guy to work with and the gasket was exelent. I kept looking at the timing marks on this
thing and it looked to me like it was spot on, but it didn't seem to be in time vary good, I looked at an old picture of it when I first had the motor tore apart, so I came to the conclusion of being off one tooth.