Its time for crank updates

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
NRath

#181 Post by NRath »

Yep, Tim's the cat's meow, the shiz nit, the Uber 'Daler!!!

2000EX forgot to mention that Tim can also throw down some speed on those Majestic trails! Fun to ride with!

cannondale27

#182 Post by cannondale27 »

He has definitly cured the crankbearing issue.2 years on a high performance motor is just amazing!Better than that we all have made great friends in Timbo and all his gang.Awesome people!

peterock

#183 Post by peterock »

Tim Sucks. Worst ideas I've heard of that come from that guy.

Ok, not really. He definetly knows his stuff. He can be hard to get in touch with sometimes, but for the work he does and what he charges it is hard to argue.

wistech

#184 Post by wistech »

I guess its time to rip apart one of the first z cranks for an inspection. Ill press it apart today and report. Its kind of like starting this process all over again .

cannondale27

#185 Post by cannondale27 »

Maybe UPSMAN can post a pic of his?Two years of racing and practicing.The wear was nothing like stock Ripsaw bearing.It was nice smooth even wear on rod.Very acceptable and wont cause a catastrophic bearing or cage failure unless ignored. There is easily identifiable play in the rod.In other words if your doing your yearly top end jobs you would be able to catch the wear without splitting the crank.Something that is normal procedure instead of complete teardown.

wistech

#186 Post by wistech »

Heres the old dog . The rod looks pretty good .Just a little cage wear but nothing measurable. I remember this crank well. I had Brian whip the z bearing in it on friday morning . Picked it up after work and worked through the night to build the engine and install it in the quad for a ride the next day. That was right about this time of year in 2004 . I also remember this is when I also found out how to make a short snout crank fit in a hydro case at 2 in the morning . LOL Needless to say it has buku hours on it plus the extra fun of the 12,500 rev limiter and about 3 porting changes till we got it over 55 hp. It was also dropped in 3 feet of ice cold river water for cold quench hardening of the engine .
The rollers have some slight evidence of normal wear just like the rod and crank journals. This engine never made metal or had shiny metallic oil when drained. It also has the most magnets of any cannondale I ever built. One in the head ,3 in the crank case ,one in the scavange line sight glass and the all important pellet in the oil inlet. Oil was exclusively mobil one 0w-40 year round . Never had a cam lobe wear but I did have a valve spring weaken during the 12,500 rev test after a year . Only a couple of the one way rollers have wear which is surprizing because this engine had many extended crank hot starts due to a bad coil. Scavange pumps look great . There is rust on the crank from when she went swimming but not on any wear surface. The only thing I found strange was the flywheel side bearing is no longer a press fit and can be pulled off the crank with a little tug. I dont remember if we cut this one down or if its a factory modded crank. Must not mean much since it didnt have any effect. Ill green locktite the bearing race on when it goes back into service. This engine also had a full stud kit put on the cartridge plate before we learned that locktite and stock bolts get the job done . The seal was slightly worn just at the top but the rest is in great shape.

cannondale27

#187 Post by cannondale27 »

Everytime I see the amount of wear on case from cartridge plate moving around I have to wonder if that issue should be addressed.

Wistech now take a straight edge or ground block and put it inside rod big end resting on bearing surface.If worn the straight edge will rock or you would see light at edges and not in middle.It can be measured with a bore mike or snap guages and mic but its not easy to measure since wear occurs at edges.But wear is so smooth it isnt visible.Normal wear.UPSMANS crank had stock rod on it so this is really a good thing for Timbos rods if they arent wearing at all-vs-stock.Just the discoloration on bearing surface makes me think there is some wear though.

Happyboy

#188 Post by Happyboy »

Still can't believe you had one go through the ice. big balls!

wistech

#189 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Nov 15 2009, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still can't believe you had one go through the ice. big balls!

Actuall I had 2 go through. This one was 3-4 years ago and last year I used up another life riding the speed on about an inch of ice. I dropped it in a river channel where it was 7 feet deep. Had the quad not had the studded tires I would have bought it for sure. The quad went to the bottom with the rear end up . I was able to stand on one rear tire and the grab bar to help get a whale flop onto the ice and belly crawl at a hyper quick pace to the land . Had I not been able to get out myself nobody was coming out on that thin of ice to help without breaking through. The speed spent 6 hours under water before we came back with a boat to fish it out . .......I have pics. wink.gif
I kept it quiet for a while since its a big fine to litter the lake with vehicles.
By the way after draining many gallons of water out of the Speeds engine ,fuel system and frame the dang thing started right up on the first prime like nothing had happened. It did ruin the tps though as water in it cracked the plastic when it froze . The dobeck and 500ecu still worked fine.

UpsMan

#190 Post by UpsMan »

[attachment=9383:111209.jpg]

Here is mine Steve.