More Magnets

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

More Magnets

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

Well I did it.Got the drill out and drilled some holes in my frame for the nice stainless plugs which have magnets on them.Here is the left side it needs to be recessed since frame isnt flat enough here.

cannondale27

Right side

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

This one is right below the seperator that is in the frame so I know it will always be in oil.Frame is pretty thin here but flat enough that it doesnt need to be recessed just drilled and tapped.

cannondale27

Part numbers

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I was a bundle of nerves doing this out of fear of wrecking my frame.But even after flushing my frame many times after the Winky crank meltdown.I found metal on the magnet which I put in the sump.So I figured the more the better.They are the plugs for the lower unit of a Yamaha outboard motor.

Tempo Part No.170364
Model No.YAO364

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Sump magnet this magnet I would say is mandatory after your crank frags.It is almost impossible to get all the metal out of your frame and hopefully this magnet will catch any you missed.The frame ones I wouldnt want to do again since if you screw up anywhere in the process of drilling,tapping and recessing them you will have a junk frame or at least a hole you need to plug somehow.But if anyone feels the need as I did I will get measurement as to where I put them.

TheJaspMan

#5 Post by TheJaspMan »

Steve, you must have b**ls of cast iron! Drills, saws, files and the like have no place around my frame!! :eek:

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

After seeing the pile of steel in Haydugs engine Im tripling the amount of magnets in my sumps. It will be so magnetic Ill be able to catch all the studs that fly out of my ice tires. Compass needles allways point Dale north.. Ill have to use plastic belt buckles so I dont get stuck to the quad. I will have to go really fast over railroad tracks. I have to get a stronger starter to to pull my crank wieghts away from bottom of the sump. LOL Way to go Steve.:clap:

comander420

#7 Post by comander420 »

Steve, I can't remember where you said you got those sump magnets from, I don't think my ba??s are big enough to drill the frame but 1 or 2 of those sump magnets is genious.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Ive been using the big ones that come in oil pans of large Allision transmisions. Ill see if I can get more. They are slighty flexible and easy to attach. Any magnet will do but the bigger the better. Steal some from your fridgerator if you have to.

Cdale_racer_669

#9 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

is there anyway to get the Spar drains to be magnetized?? wouldnt require drilling biggrin.gif if they are steel couldnt u just magnetize them sumhow?

thinking outloud....

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by Cdale_racer_669
is there anyway to get the Spar drains to be magnetized?? wouldnt require drilling biggrin.gif  if they are steel couldnt u just magnetize them sumhow?

thinking outloud....

Small problem they aren't steel it is aluminum! Besides if you magnatize them then how do you get the shavings out?