More Magnets

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Drain spigots are steel but they are mostly covered when they are tightened into the frame.Would catch some though.You would just have to remove them from frame to clean them.

comander420

#12 Post by comander420 »

after you drain the oil out of the spars probably wouldn't be bad at all to take the spigots out and clean them if they were magnatized, Do you think if you stuck them on the back of a car alternantor for a while the magnatism would stay?

Brad77

#13 Post by Brad77 »

I have been thinking about these drain spigots. What about finding something magnatized that will thread into the bosses of the frame other than the spigots. Such as a magnatized bolt or something. I know it would be a little more hassle in changing the oil, but I have actually started removing my spigots completely when changing the oil. Have you ever noticed how much more oil comes out of there if you competely remove the spigot?

And what about the dipstick? Could we possibly put something magnetic there. The x440s motorcycle uses a vented cap for the oil fill hole. What about using this hole to have something long and magnetic submerged in the oil fill hole. We could alway carry a dipstick along for checking the oil level.

And what about a magnetic drain plug for the engine.

Just trying to think of any and all places to install magnets.

claas900

#14 Post by claas900 »

..I always thought it would be nice to have a sight-glass in the frame,instead of pulling the dip stick all the time,Iv thought about doing something like cannon27 did,only wasnt sure about it?
....Would we be able to put magnets on the oil lines? Thos could be taken off very easy and cleaned?

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

I would love a magnetic dipstick since ALL oil passes through that hole dipstick end is in.

Canniboomer

#16 Post by Canniboomer »

That oil passage hole seems very restricted when the dipstick is in. I have been using a standard cap there, since my dipsticks seem worthless anyway -- and experimenting with an alternate dipstick using the different style ventcap like Brad77 mentioned -- sure maybe the same can be done with a pencil-rod magnet in the proper diameter, maybe a good idea -- even if it is not end-tapered and submerged quite so deep. fun fun fun

MX Quad Dad

#17 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I was thinking about a small resivor (@ 1/2 cup) with a magnetic drain plug in it an mount it at the rear of the engine then run the oil line from the left spar to the bottom of the tank and a line from the top of the tank to the fitting on the back of the engine.