Main Power Relay

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cannondale27

Run Without it?

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Believe it or not there are some cases that I have confirmed of folks running their quads without this relay.It seems that a bad relay will cause trouble but removing it entirely quads run fine.Now dont go and do this since we need to figure out how this can be.I seem to remember being told running with a bad relay burns out a diode in wiring.I dont believe the timeout feature will work without relay either.

cannondale27

EFI service Manual

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Says

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

And

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Final report:Solid state relay does not work.It is a power drain and never allows ECU to time out.Even with key off.I ended up going with Wistechs idea of a sealed socket with stock relay after one of the clips in stocker broke from corrosion.Seems like a great fix that should last.If it doesnt I will toss the relay and run without one.

DangerRanger

#15 Post by DangerRanger »

SS relays always leak voltage..the reason I never used one for mods, it would never let the computer turn off. Remember it is "resistor" based. that is the big race right now to design a SS that has no leak..but $$$ will be the factor

Bosch has some REALLY nice sealed ones like in the upgrade harness, and a company in Brazil makes one of the best sealed relay sockets I have ever seen, it even seals over the relay with a cover. you could put the whole thing in for @ $25..but you gotta buy a certain amount at a time..min.

BMW

Happyboy

#16 Post by Happyboy »

BEN!! Whats up!!?? Long time no posty.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

Thanks Ben.Good to hear from you again.Think you could get some contact numbers so I could look into those relays?Need a solid state relay for anything:D

DangerRanger

#18 Post by DangerRanger »

email me @ work steve.

ben.wrightsman@hotmail.com

BMW

ANIMALSCANNIBAL

Re: Run Without it?

#19 Post by ANIMALSCANNIBAL »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Believe it or not there are some cases that I have confirmed of folks running their quads without this relay.It seems that a bad relay will cause trouble but removing it entirely quads run fine.Now dont go and do this since we need to figure out how this can be.I seem to remember being told running with a bad relay burns out a diode in wiring.I dont believe the timeout feature will work without relay  either.

I have an ??????????????????03 Cannibal, that ran without a relay for about a
year. I noticed after having winkey load a new ECU for me, that
the fan would never run with the engine off. Guess the relay must have jumped out of the socket and out from under the tyrap, and into someone??????????????????s pocket.
:eek:

jwheat

#20 Post by jwheat »

My relay was unplugged on my quad when I bought it and I ran it for two weeks before I caught it. Didn't know at the time what the relay was for but plugged it back up and it has been running every since without a problem.