Big Winky Crank solutions...READ

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
cdrider02

#11 Post by cdrider02 »

Tightened down in the case or out of the case?

superfly

#12 Post by superfly »

tightened down in the case

aroracer72

#13 Post by aroracer72 »

Well im glad to hear that you guys have not encountered the clearance issues as i have. Im sjut glad i am a motor builder and always check my clearances. Ive rebuilt at least 6 cranks.....and this one i didnt cause i cant do the machin9ing big winky did....and soo yeah. But as far as his crank gos.....it looks great...and the plate machining he did was seemingly accurate and good. But i posted cause i heard of a couple motors with winkies flow mod/crank burning up after like 20 minutes...and thats definately in my oppinnion clearance issues in the motor. Im glad that you dont need this advice......but im glad i posted in case someday it helps someone. And in case one of you checked cldearances without torqueing the crank plate down...then you have to to get correct measurements. Cause whn i first checked it out...jsut to see if it was even gonna fit...it fit like a glove..and i just snugged up th crank plate some..and it had no binding....then i torqued it l8er to specs....and it was completely binded up. So now i see that this thread was kinda of a no-help...but a reminder of little things that make big differences.
CHAD

cdrookie

#14 Post by cdrookie »

Originally posted by aroracer72
Well im glad to hear that you guys have not encountered the clearance issues as i have. Im sjut glad i am a motor builder and always check my clearances. Ive rebuilt at least 6 cranks.....and this one i didnt cause i cant do the machin9ing big winky did....and soo yeah. But as far as his crank gos.....it looks great...and the plate machining he did was seemingly accurate and good. But i posted cause i heard of a couple motors with winkies flow mod/crank burning up after like 20 minutes...and thats definately in my oppinnion clearance issues in the motor. Im glad that you dont need this advice......but im glad i posted in case someday it helps someone. And in case one of you checked cldearances without torqueing the crank plate down...then you have to to get correct measurements. Cause whn i first checked it out...jsut to see if it was even gonna fit...it fit like a glove..and i just snugged up th crank plate some..and it had no binding....then i torqued it l8er to specs....and it was completely binded up. So now i see that this thread was kinda of a no-help...but a reminder of little things that make big differences.
CHAD

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Happyboy

#15 Post by Happyboy »

Good post aroracer72.... This is just something to keep an eye out for when dealing with Winky's stuff. Thanks for the work on looking into it.

cdrider02

#16 Post by cdrider02 »

I've never dealt with Winky so I can't speak about his work but any engine parts that have been worked on and even new parts should be checked and double checked before assembling an engine with them, not checking your parts, fits and clearances sooner or later will lead to problems and I say this not because anyone inparticular is doing a bad job but because anyone can and will make mistakes we're all human.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

That is very good advice.You assume it was checked by the builder but you never know.Triple check rule applies to everything in the motors one big reason why it takes so long to assemble a motor correctly.

blaze#52

#18 Post by blaze#52 »

hey aro was that cart plate matched to the block? that could be part of your prob, simalar to line boring a small block chevy. if the crank bores are not true it will not turn free. just a thought. or did you have the oil mod done and are you sure you got your cart plate back? when I sent mine there is letter stamped it and taged it to match my block.

aroracer72

#19 Post by aroracer72 »

i checked all clearances and specs of everything 3 times. The only alien measurement was the bearings. They were off on both sides. Once i put the narrower bearings in....it fit like glove. And turned nice and smoothly.
CHAD