Big Winky Crank solutions...READ

Post your R&D threads here, what are you working on?
aroracer72

Big Winky Crank solutions...READ

#1 Post by aroracer72 »

Hey ive posted this before...but have decided topost it on here for you all. Ifyou have purchased a big winky crank with theoil flow update...then most likely eitheryour engine has blown upo...or is going to.

This is not due to a crappy crank....or a crappy oil flow mod...but this is due to the crank bearings(main ones..roller)....being too wide. This causes the crank to bind...and in result will cause your crank ebarings to burn up. If you have bought his crank...and havnt started it yet.......and if you didnt check out your motor or measure the specs of clearances...etc....then im sorry to say you better tear it down and measure the clearances.

The simplest test is to take your stator cover off...and put your motor in nuetral..and try rotating it be hand. NOTE: it wont be easy...but if the specs are good...you should be ablwe too without great difficulty...if you have the wide bearings...yourmotor wont turn over by hand at all...or will be very VERY difficult too. If you are confused by what i ahev said in anyway....i will post some pics with descriptions of what im talking about.

So obviously the solution is to replace these bearing s with some other correctly width ebarings. And if your wondering what ebaring are the perfect fit.....ill tell yah!!!....im using crank bearings from a 1992 Yamaha wr200 2 stroke endurodirtbike motor. These are hte perfect spec.

Hope this helps someone out there!!!!
CHAD

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Couldnt you also use the stock mainbearings?

aroracer72

#3 Post by aroracer72 »

Im jsut posting what i found to work.....i didnt have any stock bearings lying around..and i had some new wr200 bearings lying around....sp i used them. So therefor im not gonna suggest a bearing that im not 100% shure it will work. When i get home ill measure the width of the wr200 bearing(have extra)...and ill post the measurements.
CHAD

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

Is the wr200 bearing a ball or roller bearing? are you sure the speed and load ratings match up to our motors needs?

J. Delaney

#5 Post by J. Delaney »

A cannondale engine has over twice the displacment of a WR200. I'd be leary of using that particular bearing with out seeing the specs on it first.

aroracer72

#6 Post by aroracer72 »

Thats why this is R&D smile.gif .....i jsut got my motor done and in by frame and am relaxing now at 3:40am....lmao. So i will start it tommorrow...and ill be runnign a practice at a mx track next weekend..a d will report how she runs smile.gif
CHAD
and big stinky sent ball bearings(claimed 3-4hp gain)....and the wr200 bearings have beefier ball bearings.....and is jap..instead of winkies turkey bearings...lol

blaze#52

#7 Post by blaze#52 »

I have got the same crank, same bearings, my motor turned over easy and smooth. Last year i ran ball bearingson both ends of my crank, pulled it down, and no problems at all, This time I used one roller and one ball. I like to run one ball bearing due to eliminating the end play on the crank, keeps it from walking into the stator.

I am building a engine now that is getting a timbo crank. he suggested using the stock rollers on both ends so that is what that one is getting

aroracer72

#8 Post by aroracer72 »

The stock roller bearings would/will last longer then roller bearings. And if you had no binding....awesome man....i know it wouldnt be all of his crank bearings that would be wrong.......but i know some are. So for anyone with a winky set up thats having problems with their crank.....this might be their solution.
CHAD

cdrider02

#9 Post by cdrider02 »

Blaze 52 if your are worried about endplay which you should because it can be excessive mine was.035" if I remember correctly and have read about others with the same problem. Just check it and shim accordingly if you need shims contact me I made a die so I can punch them out of shim stock and I will be glad to send you what you need. I shimmed equally on both sides of the crank, if you have alot of endplay and shim all on the clutch side you give the stator lots of room but this may affect other things. If you only need to shim a small amount then I would put it on the clutch side just because of the extra room on the stator side.

superfly

#10 Post by superfly »

Just got my winky crank and cartrige plate in and i didnt have a problem turning it over by hand.