Service Manual Errors and Corrections

Your one stop show for various tips, tricks, and system updates.
peterock

#11 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Feb 22 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been meaning to mention this one for ages, but I kept forgetting, or just figured that most guys would know better.

BUT BUT, I have since seen two machines come in here exactly as shown on Page 21 of the 2002 and 2003 Engine Parts Catalogs......here is a link to one Catalog over at the Cannondaler site. I cannot read the same file that resides on this site, and I don't know how to post up a single page yet....

But check out page 21,.... for a chuckle, and a needed correction. The Parts Catalogs are often used as "assembly diagrams", and sometimes without much questioning! blink.gif

http://www.cannondaler.com/files/cdale/man...s%20Catalog.pdf

http://www.glqra.com/CannondaleManual/03En...sCatalogp21.pdf

peterock

#12 Post by peterock »

Mods,

I would say to create a new forum just for the posted updates otherwise people are going to be digging through this.

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Feb 22 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Red loc-tite.

I gotta disagree on this one. I would NEVER put red loctite on that nut. Just tighten it up with a wrench and then bend the tabs on the washer. It won't come off. I had to nearly cut a customer's sprocket nut off becuase they used loctite...just nasty.

Happyboy

#14 Post by Happyboy »

Done. I think we should leave the new forum open for a bit. People, please link to threads you suggest moving in there and we'll get them moved if appropriate. Then we can sort through and clean em up to makes as usefull as possible.

thedeatons

#15 Post by thedeatons »

In the end will we have a complete updated manual that Jim can also post on Daler?

speedracer

#16 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Feb 22 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I gotta disagree on this one. I would NEVER put red loctite on that nut. Just tighten it up with a wrench and then bend the tabs on the washer. It won't come off. I had to nearly cut a customer's sprocket nut off becuase they used loctite...just nasty.

What about heating the nut before attempting removal?

thedeatons

#17 Post by thedeatons »

Hey Pete, do you want me to get all those Cannondale magazine articles back from Jim so you can .pdf them? They are currently in .doc format. Jim believes Daler was hacked because he had them posted as Word documents.

Let me know, there are well over a dozen articles from magazines that reviewed the Dales when they were new.

peterock

#18 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Feb 22 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Pete, do you want me to get all those Cannondale magazine articles back from Jim so you can .pdf them? They are currently in .doc format. Jim believes Daler was hacked because he had them posted as Word documents.

Let me know, there are well over a dozen articles from magazines that reviewed the Dales when they were new.

sure

Happyboy

#19 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Feb 22 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about heating the nut before attempting removal?

By heating that area you risk damaging the tranny seal. If you have a washer why would you need loctite? It doesn't matter if its a hair loose, the teeth are fit so it won't strip out the gear.

Canniboomer

#20 Post by Canniboomer »

Here is another one that has caused some problems and confusion:

Clutch Parts List, Engine Parts Catalogs, Page 16:

Note, item 15 is in the wrong location, and the picture does not look like an external circlip anyway. That should be shown between items 12 and 16, or between 10 and 16 in some way.

http://www.cannondaler.com/files/cdale/man...s%20Catalog.pdf