Quick Connect Gutting ,One more time.

Your one stop show for various tips, tricks, and system updates.
bigfoot17

#11 Post by bigfoot17 »

Great pictures,thanks. Do you use any sealant when you press them back together?

MX Quad Dad

#12 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Mar 16 2012, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a new x440 owner,how critical is this mod in your opinion? I have to put a new fuel pump in so would really like to do it if it will make it more reliable but I have also been told that the regulator will only push so much either way and stock is ok. What do you think?

I'm not sure what the person who told you about the regulator meant. But, the regulator doesn't "push". The injectors are located between the fuel pump and regulator. The regulator maintains pressure between the pump and its self. Only the excess pressure goes thru the regulator which should be able to bypass 100% of pump output or there is something wrong.

I am guilty of not doing mine yet. Mine both still run strong but there is still an Un-needed strain on the fuel pump, so I do plan on doing the boomer mod to both of mine. If either one was being run competitively I would have done it long ago along with putting a high pressure filter between the pump and injectors and ditching the stock inline filter.

I feel my excuse for not doing it yet will bite me in the rear one day. Most times I have heard of people having trouble with this is, at the beginning of a ride they try to fire up and o-rings have swelled and its not getting fuel and it won't fire. not that it hasn't happened but, i haven't heard of anyone riding and bike quits because 0-ring swelled shut. I try to allways include a cordless drill and bits in the tool box when we go on rides but, fear I will be the one to have it happen on the trail at the farthest point from the trailer and ruin both of our rides or worse yet, have both do it on the same ride and ruin a third parties day also.

bigfoot17

#13 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUAD DAD. You say that you have not done yours yet. How long are we talking? All I plan on doing is a trail ride or 2 a year. Maybe 100 miles a year at most.
I don't want to be stranded in the woods,but I don't want to waste good money either.

exotic rider

#14 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Mar 16 2012, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure what the person who told you about the regulator meant. But, the regulator doesn't "push". The injectors are located between the fuel pump and regulator. The regulator maintains pressure between the pump and its self. Only the excess pressure goes thru the regulator which should be able to bypass 100% of pump output or there is something wrong.

I am guilty of not doing mine yet. Mine both still run strong but there is still an Un-needed strain on the fuel pump, so I do plan on doing the boomer mod to both of mine. If either one was being run competitively I would have done it long ago along with putting a high pressure filter between the pump and injectors and ditching the stock inline filter.

I feel my excuse for not doing it yet will bite me in the rear one day. Most times I have heard of people having trouble with this is, at the beginning of a ride they try to fire up and o-rings have swelled and its not getting fuel and it won't fire. not that it hasn't happened but, i haven't heard of anyone riding and bike quits because 0-ring swelled shut. I try to allways include a cordless drill and bits in the tool box when we go on rides but, fear I will be the one to have it happen on the trail at the farthest point from the trailer and ruin both of our rides or worse yet, have both do it on the same ride and ruin a third parties day also.

well info is appreciated and I would just rather not say who had told me that the factory stuff is ok,I just wanted to get a feel for other owners opinon/experience.I have no issue ordering the boomer kit if it is worth while-but as bigfoot asked how long are we talking that you have been running oem? I would think that it would shed some light to the claim of the fuel pump over working to know how long. I too do not want to waste money if I dont have to.It seems most guys on here are doing it but I have herd conflicting views on the subject.

bigfoot17

#15 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Mar 16 2012, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well info is appreciated and I would just rather not say who had told me that the factory stuff is ok,I just wanted to get a feel for other owners opinon/experience.I have no issue ordering the boomer kit if it is worth while-but as bigfoot asked how long are we talking that you have been running oem? I would think that it would shed some light to the claim of the fuel pump over working to know how long. I too do not want to waste money if I dont have to.It seems most guys on here are doing it but I have herd conflicting views on the subject.

I am watching a 2003 X440 on E-bay(120875064320) , I sent the guy a question about updates and condition. Here is his response.

"Bike is completely stock with no updates. Never given me one problem since I've had it. Sorry but no idea of hours. I have other bikes so I do not ride it all the time. Aside from fork seals and o-rings in the fuel lines and tune ups, thats about it. "

With that being said,I wonder if a normal (old and slow) rider could get by without gutting and be OK. My analnous(my new word) leads me to want the fuel line update. wacko.gif

exotic rider

#16 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Mar 16 2012, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am watching a 2003 X440 on E-bay(120875064320) , I sent the guy a question about updates and condition. Here is his response.

"Bike is completely stock with no updates. Never given me one problem since I've had it. Sorry but no idea of hours. I have other bikes so I do not ride it all the time. Aside from fork seals and o-rings in the fuel lines and tune ups, thats about it. "

With that being said,I wonder if a normal (old and slow) rider could get by without gutting and be OK. My analnous(my new word) leads me to want the fuel line update. wacko.gif

yeah i hear that i do not have any ambition of pushing so i probably just do it and get it over with,I found a fuel pump for 104.00 through napa auto parts so I guess I might as well suck it up and not be so cheap and buy the kit.

bigfoot17

#17 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUOTE (exotic rider @ Mar 16 2012, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah i hear that i do not have any ambition of pushing so i probably just do it and get it over with,I found a fuel pump for 104.00 through napa auto parts so I guess I might as well suck it up and not be so cheap and buy the kit.

I am not the expert here. But I have heard that the NAPA pump draws too many amps and tries to pump too much fuel making the fuel starvation issue even worse. Boomer has fuel pumps that are same or better price than NAPA.

Someone jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

speedracer

#18 Post by speedracer »

I have had a swollen o-ring stop fuel flow out on a ride.The filter was bone dry and the fuelline from the bottom of the pump to the filter was flat,I guess from the pump trying to draw fuel.Gutted the quick disconnects,it ran fine.I think Boomer has the pumps fairly cheap.

claas900

#19 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Mar 16 2012, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great pictures,thanks. Do you use any sealant when you press them back together?

No I don't just press it back together.

MX Quad Dad

#20 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I don't mean to talk like it isn't important to do. I feel I should have done it already. I am planning on the boomer set-up because both my quads have the old style tank, with the feed line at the bottom. I just prefer to be able to shut the fuel off when removing the tank.

My luck over the years may have been from fuel choice. the moto did get VP racing fuel when it was being raced and after that I ran Mobile premium because they used to advertise 100% gasoline. but that has changed a few years ago. I am willing to bet the oil companies change the aditives the put in their fuel from time to time and you don't know when they might put something in there that might react with the o-rings.