Quick Connect Gutting ,One more time.

Your one stop show for various tips, tricks, and system updates.
claas900

#21 Post by claas900 »

I don't know anything about a NAPA pump, but the one we have is one of the smallest one's built at least at that time. If the NAPA one is larger your just wasting power. No reason for it, I know for a fact our pump is good for at least 65hp. Ours is also a very good pump, running them dry will kill them faster then anything.

bigfoot17

#22 Post by bigfoot17 »

I DID IT! Finally gutted my quick connects. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I ended up removing the pressed in fitting,rather than drilling. I am not pleased with my quality of work. I had to use a pair of pliers to hold the pressed in part while twisting the fitting. Gouged the heck out of the fitting. Now it looks like a star washer. I used an 8mm socket to press the fittings back together.
The suction hose was a little tough to get back into the tank.
I ran the engine after each removal to check for leaks and all looks good.
I did not notice a reduction of noise from the pump. But I did see what appeared to be a big increase in flow through the filter.

Now I'll just hope for the best.

claas900

#23 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (bigfoot17 @ Mar 18 2012, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I DID IT! Finally gutted my quick connects. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I ended up removing the pressed in fitting,rather than drilling. I am not pleased with my quality of work. I had to use a pair of pliers to hold the pressed in part while twisting the fitting. Gouged the heck out of the fitting. Now it looks like a star washer. I used an 8mm socket to press the fittings back together.
The suction hose was a little tough to get back into the tank.
I ran the engine after each removal to check for leaks and all looks good.
I did not notice a reduction of noise from the pump. But I did see what appeared to be a big increase in flow through the filter.

Now I'll just hope for the best.

Yeah if you can use a vise like i have in the pic, and not twist it back and forth, but only twist/pull it in one direction it doest mark it up to bad. The other trick is to make sure everthing is tight but not crushing it that helps to not mark it up also.
Good job tho, it's really not hard at all. You spend more time talking/thinking about then just doing it. wink.gif

bigfoot17

#24 Post by bigfoot17 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Mar 18 2012, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah if you can use a vise like i have in the pic, and not twist it back and forth, but only twist/pull it in one direction it doest mark it up to bad. The other trick is to make sure everthing is tight but not crushing it that helps to not mark it up also.
Good job tho, it's really not hard at all. You spend more time talking/thinking about then just doing it. wink.gif

I did not want to disturb the clamps on the hose ,so I did the first one with the pliers. After I had seen the error of my ways,I decided to do the tank end in the vise. You are right,did not mark much. The filter side was easy to remove, so I put it in the vise,but it spun(cheap vise). The tank fittings were pretty easy. Your pics were what gave me the courage to do it.
Thanks,Again.

claas900

#25 Post by claas900 »

Your Welcome. So now the O-ring you see on the male end is one I like to keep on hand. Every now and then you'll nick it. I cant remember the size, I'm sure someone will chime in with it. If not Dave will have them. Just pick up a few to keep on hand.

bigfoot17

#26 Post by bigfoot17 »

Nick one I did. Found on the forum that they are 008. I found some on E-Bay for $5.00. I think it was 50. And yes they are Viton. One thing I have not found on the forums was which hardness,so I picked 70.

exotic rider

#27 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Mar 17 2012, 05:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know anything about a NAPA pump, but the one we have is one of the smallest one's built at least at that time. If the NAPA one is larger your just wasting power. No reason for it, I know for a fact our pump is good for at least 65hp. Ours is also a very good pump, running them dry will kill them faster then anything.

the napa pump is on a cross refernence list i found on this site,the only reason i would had installed that is they had it in stock a mile from my house.I have since ended up tearing down the motor and found a cracked sleeve,corroded valave cover/auto bleeder, I have got a price list together and will peck away until its solid,I have a atk 350 to ride until then but am looking forward to the 440 running! I have found with the atk that many parts are from other jap models,and same with c-dale as far as plastic, sliders, fork seals ect and i do not mind doing a little extra foot work to find options other than oem if it will save money.