Quick Connect Gutting ,One more time.

Your one stop show for various tips, tricks, and system updates.
bigfoot17

#1 Post by bigfoot17 »

I would like to try and gut my quick connects this weekend.After reading all of the posts I could find,I still have some questions.
First I plan on removing the male ends , drilling out the white plastic and removing the springs.Do you really drill them out?
Next I need to remove the tank(female) fittings and remove the white plastic and the o-rings.Do I drill them out also? I read that someone said to punch them out. What is the correct way to do this?
When I am done,I should see daylight in all connections and only the male connection keeps its o-ring, right?
Do you use regular teflon tape on the tank fittings?
Should I remove the screen on the tank suction line?
Does any one have some step by step pictures?

Am I making more of this than I should?? wacko.gif

Thanks for any help.

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

It's a simple process not to be worried about. Basically youve got it. Drill out everything internally. A drill with a good bit on it is pretty quick. Cant recall exact size though. Be sure to remove the female fittings from the tank first. When done you will see right through the fittings witg nothing inside.

On one pair I did the spring in one fitting was a pain and took some time to get out but be sure to get it out. I used teflon tape on my first tank with no leaks, but the last couple I didnt because I couldnt find the tape. None have leaked however. That is everything I've done on mine. Others I'm sure have done other things but this worked great for me

exotic rider

#3 Post by exotic rider »

QUOTE (who_gives_a6 @ Mar 9 2012, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a simple process not to be worried about. Basically youve got it. Drill out everything internally. A drill with a good bit on it is pretty quick. Cant recall exact size though. Be sure to remove the female fittings from the tank first. When done you will see right through the fittings witg nothing inside.

On one pair I did the spring in one fitting was a pain and took some time to get out but be sure to get it out. I used teflon tape on my first tank with no leaks, but the last couple I didnt because I couldnt find the tape. None have leaked however. That is everything I've done on mine. Others I'm sure have done other things but this worked great for me
I am a new x440 owner,how critical is this mod in your opinion? I have to put a new fuel pump in so would really like to do it if it will make it more reliable but i have also been told that the regulator will only push so much either way and stock is ok. What do you think?

bigfoot17

#4 Post by bigfoot17 »

According to most of the guys,it is essential. Better flow,cooler running,longer pump life. I have not done it yet,but I haven't even ridden the bike yet.
I just talked to Dave(Boomer), the other night and he said that the bikes are a bit trickier due to the fact that they use 90 degree fittings.
That was enough for me, I just ordered Dave's kit. Peace of mind.

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

Heres how to pull them apart, don't rock it back and forth,just turn it one direction wile pulling out on it.

claas900

#6 Post by claas900 »

heres the guts

claas900

#7 Post by claas900 »

Heres pressing it back togher. Don't press on the nipple, use a socket to press/tap on the base of it.

claas900

#8 Post by claas900 »

Heres the guts on the tank side.

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

Use a punch to compress the spring, then use a pick to pull out the O-ring kind of a pain. Once the O-ring is out all the guts fall out.

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

So now just make sure you have a good O-ring on the male/nipple hose side and your good to go.