Crankcase pressure testing

Your one stop show for various tips, tricks, and system updates.
cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow was it cracked or a defect?

rayspeed

#22 Post by rayspeed »

There is a thin crack there that you cant see unless you know it is there, darn near drove me crazy! I had this motor apart and together several times. First couple was to get the crank cart sealed from them working one each other. Cant say it was a defect... bolts on both cart plates came loose, broke an ear off the oil filter housing and the trans cart. They were blue locktited and nordlocked but I may have made the mistake of following the torque spec from the manual is only thing I can figure.
Sad thing is that we pulled this motor apart brand new to update it and put in a z bearing crank... and this happened 50 hours later!
Needless to say every motor I do from now on gets the locks, the red and the pressure!
Last motor I did saved what would have been a nasty oil leak at the cam cover!
Ray

Happyboy

#23 Post by Happyboy »

original post pics fixed

claas900

#24 Post by claas900 »

I was doing a motor so I thought I'd add to this. You have to crank the volume way up http://www.youtube.com/user/claas90017#play/all

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

Good job . Im almost at the point that Im ready to start dunking the engines .LOL. With longer run times and more cracked cases the welds on the bottom of the case and cracks in the weirdest of places seem to be showing themselves. The area behind the flywheel and front engine mounts also.

2000ex

#26 Post by 2000ex »

Great tutorial for those who have never done the pressure test. I did not have speakers when I was watching, however the other thing I would mention is to check for leaks with the tranny out against the back wall of the case between the crank and the tranny. Very typical place for the cases to crack.

rayspeed

#27 Post by rayspeed »

Dont forget to use this method to check the valve cover seals too... those buggers can be pesky!
You can also use this for the cooling system to check all the seals.
Interesting video on the turn tech battery... sure sucked the voltage down when cranking, I think the 5ah would work quite nice but not for what they want for it, if it lasts a couple of years maybe worth it tho.
Ray

claas900

#28 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Oct 6 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont forget to use this method to check the valve cover seals too... those buggers can be pesky!
You can also use this for the cooling system to check all the seals.
Interesting video on the turn tech battery... sure sucked the voltage down when cranking, I think the 5ah would work quite nice but not for what they want for it, if it lasts a couple of years maybe worth it tho.
Ray

I run the 5Ah on my wife's 460. Love it when the bs9 takes a dump on my 495 that's what I'm going to put in it.

cannondale27

#29 Post by cannondale27 »

Very Nice!

Z4J

#30 Post by Z4J »

Great post. Looks like this is my next step. Any edits or other photos of the ones X'ed out? I'm planning to head to Harbor Freight to get what is needed here (perfect app. fopr Harbor Freight). Any other views needed for a clean bill of material?