oil -tail pipe question

hawksd1

#1 Post by hawksd1 »

Ok heres a stupid one that Im sure has been answered before but here goes...After changing oil on my quad I replaced new oil and filter with 1.5 quarts just as much as was drained. Started it this morning and I have oil pumping out my pipe...now it smoked out the pipe once before previous oil change but I figured that was because I stood it up on grab bar to wash the underside for about 10 min. Any way feeling pretty stupid right now but maybe did I just over fill a lil maybe and its pumping it out the pipe? thanks in advance

jacobw

#2 Post by jacobw »

I put a quart in and queck it then add a little I think like 1.2 quarts is the fullest you want biggrin.gif

speed 450mx

#3 Post by speed 450mx »

proble over filled

hawksd1

#4 Post by hawksd1 »

QUOTE (speed 450mx @ Dec 9 2006, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
proble over filled

yup thats what it was ...drained a lil started it let it smoke off then it ran flawless once again thanks all, Jason

harleypitbull1

#5 Post by harleypitbull1 »

How would it being over filled cause oil in the exhaust? I always heard if overfill that it might puke oil like it does if a oil pump locks up. What is the oil volume on our quads? I thought it was 1.8 quarts, but jacob said 1.2? thats a big difference

wanablaze

#6 Post by wanablaze »

I guess it would depend on how "dry" the motor was. I usually put 1.8qts in.

luther57

#7 Post by luther57 »

QUOTE (harleypitbull1 @ Mar 3 2007, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would it being over filled cause oil in the exhaust? I always heard if overfill that it might puke oil like it does if a oil pump locks up. What is the oil volume on our quads? I thought it was 1.8 quarts, but jacob said 1.2? thats a big difference

Since the oil tanks are above the motor, if you over fill the tanks it causes too much pressure for the check -ball in the engine to hold back. Then the oil runs into the combustion chamber via the valves. This leads to some oil going into the exhaust ports and down the exhaust pipe. If too much oil runs into the combustion chamber it creates a condition knows as "hydro-lock" and you won't be able to start the motor until you get the oil out. This problem really sucks!!! Been-there-done-that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

I agree with Luther was a leaking checkball or a piston starting to be worn.I always use about 1.5 qts.Never look at dipstick just add 1.5 and confirm flow done.My 1.5 could be closer to 1.8 since I just eyeball level in Oil bottle.

Psychosis

#9 Post by Psychosis »

I have always used 1.5qt and never checked the dipstick. When I first got mine I did and the **** thing would never give the same reading. If you follow that thing you might put in 2qt one time and 1qt the next. I've never once had a problem w/overflowing or anything at 1.5qt though. I get it spot on to that amount.

MX Quad Dad

#10 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I'm a little to paranoid to ignor the dipstick completly. I have found, that all are not alike or at least my two are different from each other. I do measure the amount and I would say I never put more than the 1.8Qts in.

My 02 Speed will gradually raise up the dipstick as I add the last .5 to.8qt. and the level on the stick is about 2/3 to the max line with the 1.5qts. installed. On the Moto after the first qt. it is about 1/2 way to the line (I think the hole in the (baffle?) plate you see in the tank may be off a little and the stick is close enough that the stick rubs the oil residue onto the stick). when adding the last .5 qt a little at a time, the level on the stick will stay the same until close to the end of the .5qt.

I have been fine with this procedure until our last ride. We run on the ice on a local river. Its a small river with a lot of twist and turns and shallow spots were the water dosen't freeze. As we hit a short straitaway my son shot out to pass ( I got about 30 pounds on him and he has the stroker motor but, I got the better tires HE HE) he found one of those shallow spots. Frount tire dropped in and the quad shot up in the air and did a 1 1/2 frount flip and landed upside down (he actually completed the pass, even though his quad never passed me). By the time I made sure he was allright I could hear that the quad was still running. I don't know if he forgot to hook the teather or it came off his hand, but a good lesson to allways use the teather. I was a little hesitant aproaching the quad from the side of the river I was on and he was moveing a little slow after the impact (and slide) on the ice. It was evedent he lost some oil but were unsure of how much. Because of what I know of the incorrect reading after adding a little oil to a dry frame I was unsure how much oil was left and we were quite a ways from our truck.

I am planning on trying to spread the opening in the bottom of the frame. I think it is just a baffle but, if someone here knows diferent please let me know. I figure with the right tappered punch or something else I can force it down to widen the hole without making any metal shavings.. Any ideals???????