Check Your Engines!!!!!!!!!!!!

moto440man

#11 Post by moto440man »

All screws were backed out that much, I didn't touch them. As you can see the entire transmission cartridge was complete loose.

MXMIKE

aawwwwwww man

#12 Post by MXMIKE »

Two weekends ago I was running my 1st moto and heard
a squealing noise a couple times comming from the moter.I took the chance and ran the 2nd moto.When I got home I found a lot of metal in the trany oil.I pulled the clutch off and found 1 of the
allen bolts hanging on by a thread.I pulled it out and all the others I could get to and red lock tighted them.Boy I was lucky.
I also had a good year of raceing on it before it happened.
I raced last weekend and every thing went fine,But to see that sight I am goinjg to pull it apart again today and have another look.That scared the @#$^ out me.

jcv440

#13 Post by jcv440 »

Oh man, that sucks. Let me know if you need anything. I'll browse through what we've got to see if I can find the part for ya. Good luck man. sad.gif

DangerRanger

#14 Post by DangerRanger »

Should we check this even on the late '03 models. I have an 03LE that is only a few months old, but has been raced and ridden quite a bit with no problems except getting the mount update completed. Just hoping it doesn't have the problem. Any tips on what to check and how??

Ben

DangerRanger

#15 Post by DangerRanger »

Jsut got to looking, and it looks like those bolts are the ones that get changed with the stud update kit?? Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but they show changing out the allen head bolts with studs and nuts, correct??

Ben

wyndzer

#16 Post by wyndzer »

If you have a bike built after about February 2002 then this is an issue. Mine was built in December 2001 before the crankcase change was made.biggrin.gif In other words, this could happen to early bikes, but the ones made between the case change and the update are the ones to look out for. Mine is a2002 #90 Speed.

Jaybr

#17 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by wyndzer
If you have a bike built after about February 2002 then this is an issue.  Mine was built in December 2001 before the crankcase change was made.biggrin.gif  In other words, this could happen to early bikes, but the ones made between the case change and the update are the ones to look out for.  Mine is a2002 #90 Speed.

You sure about this wyndzer? My 02 Speed is #24, based on this info I have nothing to worry about. WHat kind of change in the case would cause bolts to back out?

wyndzer

#18 Post by wyndzer »

Not sure, but I talked to Kyle at R&S and that is what he said. He said it was a possibility it could happen, but the main problem is with bikes that were built in the second and third months of 2002 after some changes were made to the motors.

86atc250r

#19 Post by 86atc250r »

I've got a buddy that this has happened to twice (I believe).

The first time he took it to a dealer - they "repaired" it. Apparently they didn't use loctite (even after his request) because it wasn't long before it (or something similar) happened again......

Guess I should check our two... Mine is an older (noisy) transmission - our other one is a tad newer with the quiet tranny.

NRath

#20 Post by NRath »

Does anyone know what the functional change was with the scavenge plate cover? I know it was slightly thinner in some areas, but why? Other than that, I'm hoping red locktiting the existing bolts would effectively solve the problem, right?

Some input from some the c'dale gurus would be great here. I realize the situation some of you guys are in could be much worse than ours with only a quad that might come apart. But, there's a bunch of us here that could really use some help.