Check Your Engines!!!!!!!!!!!!

dawzie

#41 Post by dawzie »

Well - I found a loose bolt. With the allen wrench on it I could turn it with my fingers. So I toke it all the way out and no lock tight sad.gif Now I'm going to drop the motor and lock tight all of them. My dealer said it's not that big of a deal once the motor is out, so I guess I'll do it. He also said they can't get update kits either. Just take the bolts out, clean the threads and red lock tight.

LapTraffic

#42 Post by LapTraffic »

Cannondale is shipping parts again, call other dealers in your area.

I would highly reccomend the stud update kit, I believe the flanged nut is a better locking mechanism with red lock tight than the current allens with just lock tight. Though safety wire would be the best way.

If you're going through all the trouble to drop the motor and do the work ya might as well make the improvement.

If your dealers cant get the stud update kit I believe quadsource is selling them and I would look on Cannondaler.com the dealers there may have a few they would ship out.

iceracer17

check all bolts!

#43 Post by iceracer17 »

Just pulled the motor on my 03 LE,here is what I found.One bolt from crank cartridge was out and did all the damage.Also one bolt in the tranny cartridge was loose 11 o'clock pos.Also check the small bolts on the scavenger pump,mine one was gone,one was just hanging in there,the large bolt also was loose.Clutch basket is cracked,crank cartridge plate ear broken,tranny cartridge plate has pretty deep groves in it,scavenger pump lobes all scratched.Good thing is the bolts fell right out when I took the cover off,they didn't go through the tranny.Just wondering how all the bearings are due to the shavings found in the tranny and engine filters?Was going to post pics but didn't have time to figure out how.

Sandstorm

#44 Post by Sandstorm »

Why do you have to drop the motor to do this? Is there some you can't get to or something like that??

iceracer17

#45 Post by iceracer17 »

You can only get to 3 or 4 by pulling the clutch all the rest you have to drop the motor to get the cover off.

cannondale27

#46 Post by cannondale27 »

Dave found bolts loose on both the tranny plate and the crank plate along with the scavengerpump plate.So basicly if you find a bolt loose behind the clutch usually it will be the one at 11:00 you should drop the motor and check all the bolts which you cant get at through the clutch opening you have to remove the motor to get the sidecover off.Here are some of Daves pictures.

cannondale27

#47 Post by cannondale27 »

another picture

LapTraffic

#48 Post by LapTraffic »

Do you need a different gasket to insepect the bolts on the tranny side?

jcv440

#49 Post by jcv440 »

The update from quadsource still isn't complete. We got a new stud side case from Cannondale too. We should know if we're getting them by the end of March....I'm waiting till then to decide what I'm doing.

cannondale27

#50 Post by cannondale27 »

http://www.metalworkingdigest.com/scripts/...3550&PRODLETT=A

Check out this article I think the case change is behind all these troubles.After reading this article now I am a little worried about trying to repair a destroyed case.