flywheel side crank seal

cdrider02

#11 Post by cdrider02 »

The one that I had a problem with was a FX400 , cable clutch, and the new style right side crank bearing, and the early crankshaft. The bottom end was together ,I had already shimmed to get the correct end play, when I installed the seal, stator and spacer I used the spacer and stator to push the seal in straight and to the correct depth but when I did this it pushed the seal tight against the right side crank bearing. When this happened it took all of the end play out of the crank. I took it back apart and found that the old seal was 5mm and the new one was 7mm, when I installed a 5mm it still had the correct amount of end play.I also noticed the double seal not working 7mm seals so the 5mm would be a good idea for all as long as we had a correct spacer. Sorry for the long explanation just wanted to be clear.

Canniboomer

#12 Post by Canniboomer »

Sorry for confusion.... I now find that Cannondale was indeed using a 5mm seal, part 5001931 for the FX400 case at least, but for sure they had been inconsistent since then....And the ATK seal kits only have the 7mm seal, so beware leaks with the billet-crank motors and the thicker seal.... Still, the fix appears to be the 5mm seal in all motors, and attention to an alternate deeper spacer or added shimwasher that holds perimeter of the thinner seal inward on hydro-cases or with swapped out stators (diff spacers) and without it interfering with flywheel hub.

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Great info guys:clap: Copying post to FAQ